As the laughter died down, a gruff male voice sounded from behind them. Athena turned to see it was Carol's husband — Ed. "What's so funny?" He took a puff of his cigarette as he walked closer towards them. Athena had never warmed up to Ed and she was pretty sure the rest of the group hadn't either, he was evidently cold and knew for a fact that he abused Carol. She had not said anything about the matter but the bruises were a clear sign.

"Just swapping war stories, Ed." Andrea stated. The once light atmosphere was now heavy due to the man's presence. He had a way of dampening the mood and making everyone feel on edge. He was now stood right behind them. "Problem, Ed?"

"None that concerns you." Ed spat causing Andrea to go quiet as she bit her cheek. Athena was trying her hardest not to say something and cause a scene. "And you ought to focus on your work. This ain't no comedy club."

Athena wasn't a woman you wanted to mess with, anyone who knew Athena before would know that. They often steered clear of her out of fear of what she would do if they crossed her. So, with Ed stood all high and might behind them barking out orders, she couldn't believe how well she was holding it together.

However, in attempts to distract herself, she tuned into the heated argument between Shane and Lori that had caught the brunettes eye. Lori had a face of fury before she stormed away from the quarry with Carl at her side, leaving behind Shane who had hurt written all over his face. Athena unusually felt sympathy for the man. The reason being was because she had knowledge about Shane and Lori's secret relationship. Anyone in the group could see they had feelings for one another, and with the return of her not so deceased husband, it only made matters more complicated between them.

Of course she was ecstatic that Lori had been reunited with her husband, but the thought of someone like Shane having to disregard any emotional feelings he had for her was quite saddening.

Andrea scoffed and stood up from her seated position, her tone laced with disbelief. "Ed, tell you what, you don't like how your laundry is done? You are welcome to pitch in and do it yourself. Here." The blonde threw the item of clothing towards Ed so it flopped against his chest. As Athena watched, she couldn't help but admire how Andrea took no shit from anyone. She liked the fire in her.

Immediately, Ed threw it back so it slapped Andrea in the face, causing her to gasp in shock. "Ain't my job, missy."

"What is your job, Ed?" Andrea questioned spitefully "Sitting on your ass smoking cigarettes?"

At this point, Athena rose to her feet and stood beside Andrea incase Ed decided to do something stupid. "Well, it sure as hell ain't listening to some uppity smart-mouthed bitch, tell you what." Ed snapped his eyes towards Carol and summoned her over. "Come on. Let's go."

Athena crosses her arms "She's a grown ass woman, I don't think she has to do what you tell her."

"I say it's none of your business." Ed spat as he smoked the cigarette "Come on now, you heard me."

Carol went to walk over towards the evil man but was stopped by the women who had come to her defence. It was now clear to Athena that her speculations were in fact true and she wasn't going to let him hurt her anymore. "Please it doesn't matter." Carol pleaded through tears that threatened to spill. The hurt was so evident you could see it from a mile off and Athena's patience was becoming thinner by the second.

"Hey, don't think I won't knock you on your ass just cause you some college-educated cooze all right?" Ed threatened as he reached out for Carol once more "Now you come on now or you're going to regret it later."

"What, so she can show up with fresh bruises later after you've beat the holy hell out of her?" Athena hissed as she edged closer. Sure he was bigger than her but she didn't show any fear.

Little to her knowledge, Shane was watching the scene from afar intently. He didn't understand what was going on but he could see something was wrong judging from the look Athena has on her face that he knew all too well.

"This ain't none of y'all's business. You don't want to keep prodding the bull here, ok? Now I am done talking." Ed's tone suddenly became very low and intense as he grabbed Carol by the arm "Come on."

Andrea shook her head, not taking any orders from Ed as she attempted to pull Carol back. It seemed as though in that moment it all moved too quickly. The clan of women all bonded together to hold Carol back from Ed as Athena stood her ground between the pair of them. Ed began to scream in her face with a look of bloodlust in his eyes as he pulled his arm back and slapped Carol harshly in the face in one fowl swoop. From there it only got worse, Athena had had enough and decided now was the time to let go.

As Amy pulled Carol out of the chaos, Athena lunged at Ed with all her might as Andrea tried to separate Ed from Carol. The more he pushed forward the more Athena pushed back, kicking and screaming at the top of her lungs. He needed to be taught a lesson but today was not the day it would come from Athena. Amidst the outburst, Ed had managed to slash Athena's face, causing a  large gash to appear before he pushed her to the ground aggressively.

Her vision was slightly blurred from the impact but by the time she looked up, she was shocked to see Ed being dragged across the floor by none other than Shane. Athena scuttled to her feet and watched as Shane brutally started to punch the man in the face. Each punch was harder than the last and more blood appeared every time. It was nothing less than Ed deserved but she had to admit that it did scare her a little, seeing him so violent compared to what he was like a merely a few minutes ago.

Andrea gripped onto Carol who was sobbing horrendously in attempts to hold her back. Athena understood why, he was still her husband after all, but it didn't excuse the bad things he did to her. Athena touched her face and noticed the blood coating her fingertips from the slash on her cheek before looking back to the violent scene. Shane held onto Ed's face "You touch her, or that girl again and I will beat you to death, Ed. You hear me?"

Through his mouth filled with blood he spluttered out a yes before Shane stood up and glanced over to the women — more importantly Athena. He could see the shock in her eyes as much as she tried to hide it, but in that moment he didn't care. He had given Ed what he deserved. As Andrea released Carol, she ran over to her husband and fell to her knees sobbing as she repeatedly apologised. It was a sad sight to say the least.

Shane wiped his face before taking off back towards camp as if nothing had happened. "Shane." Athena called out but he said nothing and continued to walk on. She could tell that the rage wasn't just from what Ed had done to Carol but from his conversation with Lori. He needed to get out his anger somehow.

Athena sighed and wiped her hands on her jeans as she watched the man's figure slowly fade into the distance. Shane had finally snapped and to say Athena was worried about his well being is an understatement.

 Shane had finally snapped and to say Athena was worried about his well being is an understatement