Chapter 16

Lola believed that if God was all knowing, then so was the Devil. If the Devil's goal in life were to tempt humanity into sinning, then it would stand to reason that he would be everywhere. Perhaps not in his own form, possibly his demons would do his bidding.

As they walked through Whitechapel, Lola felt like she was being watched. Fearing that Bert had tracked her down, Lola looked over her shoulder constantly. The streets were filled with people, no one seemed to be following them. She thought of the life that Jacqueline would have led when she walked these streets. She couldn't remember the exact details, but Lola wondered if it was the same time as Jack the Ripper. For a moment, she considered the thought that the two might be linked if they were from the same time. Maybe Jacqueline had tried on her own and failed.

Frank stopped, thinking about something that Jacqueline said. Taking Lola's hand, he pulled her into a side street.

"What's wrong?" Lola gasped to catch her breath.

"The day that you filled up at the gas station, Jacqueline was there. She was early, said she was in the neighbourhood to catch up with an old friend. Jacqueline never appears ahead of schedule unless we call her."

"So, who was she visiting if it weren't you?"

Frank's stomach curled, wondering if it had been a mistake to leave.

"I think it was the Devil." He said softly.

Lola huffed, rather amused.

"The Devil lives in our town? Are you serious?"

"No, I meant that he could have been there. What if the Devil comes to wherever we are to taunt Jacqueline?"

"It doesn't matter anyway. You can't go back there. Bert will be waiting for you."

"He can't prove anything. I wasn't seen with the girl."

"Pretty sure Bobby wants a few words with you too."

Frank grumbled, wishing that he'd figured it out before he left the place. As always, Frank and Emma left a town with burnt cars and metaphorical raised middle fingers. Nothing like being unable to return, he mused as he turned back to the street.

Continuing down the street, Frank and Lola took a long walk to nowhere in particular. They passed a small park filled with mature, lush trees. On the other side of the road stood a man. Thin and tall, gaunt and pale, dressed reasonably well in a suit. He drew Lola's attention to him with a mere stare. It was obvious that he was watching her. Standing behind the safety fence, he stood at the very tip of the corner.

With a conceited smile, the figure tipped his head at Lola and then turned to walk down the street. Lola tugged at Frank's arm, flicking her head at the man.

"What about him?"

"He's weird."

"Are you going to point out every weird person in this city?"

"No, just him specifically. He was staring at us, didn't you see that?"

Annoyed when Frank shook his head, Lola pulled on his hand.

"Come on, we can search for something to eat."

"But following the guy at the same time, right?"

"Yep."

The couple remained on the other side of the road, Lola kept an eye on the peculiar man. It was only a short walk before the figure reached the end of the street. Lola was stunned when the light for the pedestrian crossing changed to let him cross. It had only just started to let the traffic go. Cars slammed on their brakes, and the odd man walked out as if he owned the place.

Maybe he does, her mind whispered.

Lola and Frank raced to cross in time then awkwardly stopped when they realised that the man was only a few steps ahead of them. If he noticed, he certainly didn't move to show them. Instead, he continued in his casual amble to the building that was ahead of them.

The red brick building sat at three levels, looming over them. At ground level was a roller door covered in graffiti and a single wood door beside it. With a wolfish smile, the man turned to face them. His hand reached to the door handle, turning it with ease before pushing it open.

"Master sends his warm regards to both of you and invites you to converse with him while enjoying afternoon tea."

Lola's lips twitched derisively.

"Oh, I agree," The man offered. "You should be worried, dear Lola. I've seen those movies too, I know how foolish humans can be."

Frank looked at the woman beside him.

"Uh, what's he talking about?"

"I thought that only an idiot in a movie would go into an abandoned building."

"Perhaps I can help you decide. Master has no interest in destroying your lives; he merely wishes to assist. If you do not walk through the door, he will return to his lodgings, and you will not be bothered by him again. I can promise you that you will never find him, no matter how hard you search. This is the only time you will see him, the only offer of assistance that you will get from Master. I might also add that this is an incredibly rare offer. Master is not known to be bothered with humanity in such a way. I would strongly suggest that you take his gesture of goodwill and go through the door."