Chapter 1

Frank shivered as he remembered that day. It felt like a long time, but it had only been eight years. He was so deep in the memories of the past that he barely felt the click of the pump.

"Ahem."

He snapped out of the scary haze, and to the pretty woman in front of him, her long raven locks flickered in the wind, big blue eyes watched him with amusement.

"Sorry." He muttered, pulling the nozzle out.

Frank wiped the side of her car, cleaning off the petrol he had spilt.

"Keep the change." She winked with a sweet smile.

"Even after I spilt it?"

Frank grinned as he took the money from her. Lola shrugged as she moved around the car.

"I know you were off in fantasy land again, Frankie."

Lola bit her lip as she leaned on the door of her car. She craved his attention, any little bit of a smile, something.

"Probably dreaming of the bright lights of the city."

"Nah. Been there, done that."

She grinned when the soft smile crossed his face, it was always a treat to see Frank Taylor smile. He flicked the thick brown strands of hair out of his eyes, it drove her crazy as a hairdresser and into a swoon as a lovesick female.

Lola thought that he was beautiful, inside and out. She could see the dark and broody soul was nothing more than a façade for the sweet young man that cared for his sister after losing everything. He worked a terrible job to feed them and keep a roof over their heads. Emma wasn't supposed to be behind the counter, but Bobby, the owner, didn't know. He rarely came here, too busy trying to make money with his racehorse. If Lola knew Bobby, and she unfortunately did, she knew that he wouldn't care. In fact, he would think that it was great. A second employee that was working for free. She mused that the skinflint jerk would love it.

"So," Lola took a deep breath. "Going to the mixer tonight?"

Frank shrugged as he stuffed the rag into the back pocket of his jeans.

"Where's this one at?"

"They actually hired a hall for this one." She scoffed as she rolled her eyes. "Guess they got sick of the cops raiding them."

He smirked, remember the last one where he fled into the forest, Lola a few steps ahead of him, Emma a few steps behind. Lola was a stunning woman, but it wasn't worth the trouble. Frank knew the danger. He couldn't do it, he couldn't risk her life. Not like... not like her.

"I suppose a night of fun wouldn't hurt."

"Emma coming too?"

Frank shrugged, pretending that he didn't know what she was up to tonight.

"S'pose."

Lola laughed and shook her head.

"Alright, if you two want a lift, let me know."

"Sure."

He watched as she slipped into her car and drove away, the laughter of a cold woman echoed through Frank.

"My, my Frankie, she is a doll." The woman sauntered over and leaned on the tank. "When are you going to do the deed, darling?"

"Mind your own damned business." He snarled and stormed back into the shop.

It wasn't any cooler in the shop than it was outside. Emma looked at the view of Lola turning out of the intersection. She didn't need to hear anything out of Frank's mouth, Emma knew what her brother wanted. She was a sweet, raven-haired woman that looked at Frank with love in her eyes. Emma hoped that someone would look at her with that much love though she doubted that it would ever happen.

Frank slapped the twenty onto the counter, Emma looked up at him with a raised eyebrow.

"You charged her twenty for five pounds worth of gas?"

The register flung open with a ding, Emma put the cash into the till.

"Did you give her change?"

"She said to keep it."

Emma rolled her eyes and said nothing more, she could see he was annoyed and didn't want to push him any further. She knew what it was about today that upset him. It upset her too. Eight years of pain and suffering, and neither of them could deal with the past that burned into their souls.

"The clock is ticking darling." The witch purred.

Frank narrowed his eyes at her, scowling at the delicate features of the vile woman.

"Shut up." He hissed.

Emma's mouth hung open a fraction, shocked by his outburst.

"We made an arrangement, you need to keep your end of the deal, or I will gladly fulfil my part of it. Are you telling me that you'd like to rescind the agreement?"

She smiled, blood-red lips stretched over the perfect white teeth. Her eyes widened a bright green as she drew closer to him, tilting his head up.

"Frankie darling, do tell, what do you want?"

"For you to leave me alone."

A soft chuckle echoed through the shop as she slowly stepped away from him.

"As if that were possible. Midnight is almost here, Frankie. The clock is ticking."

She stopped by the counter, looking at the young man who seemed tired of life. Wickedly she grinned, thinking that she could help him with such a problem if he were to ask it of her. But she knew he wouldn't. Frankie was a stubborn young man, and of course, he didn't know the secrets that she kept, ensuring that the leash he was on was tight.

"I could always accept it earlier, giving you a few extra hours if you like."

Emma's head raised slightly, watching his reaction.

"Imagine that, not seeing me again for another year. Gaining such little time is nothing to me, but you might find it more pleasing than I do."

She sucked in a deep breath, thinking the hope in his eyes might just give her what she wanted.

"But I know how much you love having me around, so I guess I will stick around and enjoy the next few hours of your suffering. Toodles."

She cackled as she waved him off.

"Wait!"

Frank brushed past the stand of magazines, almost knocking it over.

"So if I give you what you want, before midnight, you'll be gone? Not coming back until the correct time?"

With a grin, the fiery woman turned back. Frank hated the devilish grin she got when she knew that she had won.

"That is how it works, is it not?"

"You weren't supposed to be here until midnight. How do I know you won't do this again?"

"Aww." She pouted. "I was in the neighbourhood checking up on an old friend and thought I'd stop by, see how you were doing. You know, for old times sake."

Frank huffed with derision as he folded his arms, wondering what poor fool she had managed to entrap. Just like him.

"Well?"

"Fine, but not Lola."

Emma was about to say something but clamped her mouth shut. Who would it be if it wasn't Lola?

"I... I'll find someone. Just not her."

"Too sweet, darling."

The sentiment was offered with a sneer. She could feel the air dripping in his fear, his anxiety, his hatred. It was intoxicating to her, spurning her on, feasting upon the negative emotions.

"Six pm or the deal is off."

Frank nodded his head, filled with pessimistic thoughts. He sighed ruefully, wishing he had a time machine. If he had, he would have gone back to this night eight years prior and told that little boy to run, run so fast that nothing could catch him. But there was no outrunning his past. She would haunt him for the rest of his days.