"She can be trusted Klaus. Now silence!" grumbled the old man.

Lia ran after Five, once again thanking that she could move faster than him. She grabbed his arm as he jumped.

They both landed exactly where they were, mere seconds ago, yet months in advance.

" See Lia? I did it! "

Lia shook her head. "I never doubted you. Now please can we go home now?"

Five nodded still holding the girls hand, a gleeful look on his face.

"Just a few more jumps!" he pleaded, his eyes wide. He took the girls hands in his own before pulling her closer to him.

He often did this to get his own way because he knew that it worked.

And this day was no exception.

They jumped together, laughing as they did so, Lia still clinging onto Five as if her life depended on it. Her honey eyes were gleaming with happiness and she ran through time with Five.

Their happiness showed on their faces, an expression of childlike delight. Of course they were children.

But that was about to change.

On the final jump Five landed a little too far. He landed on his knees, cursing, before looking around him to see -

Nothing.

Everything was a wasteland, small fires that had not yet been put out, the city covered in Ash and dirt.

What Five noticed first was not the lack of civilians, nor was it the wasteland before him. It was the fact that a certain honey eyed girl was no longer with him.

"Lia?" he whispered

He started to panic, his breath shortening before he calmed himself down. Re-collecting his wits he gazed at the wasteland infront of him, before recognising where he actually was.

Five ran back to the academy as fast as he could, ignoring the pains in his head and the panic he was feeling.

He stopped before what used to be the umbrella academy. Before him, stood a ruin of a building, not one single thing left.

Not one living thing left.

"Lia!   Ben! Dad!  Anyone!" he cried out. When no one replied he sank to his knees and ran his hands through his hair.

" Come on! Shit."

**********

"I survived on scraps."

Lia was silently mortified at the horrors Five had to face.

She was sat next to him on the sofa, playing with his fingers as he told the story. She was shaking, slightly from shock - be it from the fact that her best friend had suffered if the fact that she jumped with  but couldn't remember leaving the house.

Five continued, staring at the floor, unwilling to meet her gaze.

"Canned food, cockroaches, anything I could find. You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life? Well, it's total bullshit."

He laughed humorlessly as if trying to lighten the mood but stopped when he saw the look on Lia's face.

"And you got through it?" she whispered hoarsely.

Five shrugged, turning away from her and standing up. "You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die."

He walked over to the kitchen and grabbed the coffee from the cabinet. He turned to her a look of confusion on his face.