chapter ten

"Hi mom, sorry we're late!" Seth calls once he opens his front door, making room for me to sneak past him, his husky voice echoes through the tiny cottage.

"Seth, get to the table before your dinner gets cold!" Sue Clearwater calls from the kitchen, and I can smell the deliciousness waft out, my stomach growling. I had completely forgot about food today, with the excitement of Seth's wolf secret, my hands were still shaking in disbelief. "And you better have sweet Lilah with you!" His mom adds, and my cheeks turn red, a smile finding it's way on my face. It'd been a while since I'd had a motherly figure.

"See, she likes you," Seth whispers in my ear and nudges my side, "Cmon." He gently grabs my arm and leads me into the dinning room.

"Papa and Nana?" I raise my eyebrows in confusion, my Nana and Papa were seated next to Leah and Sue, waiting on us. How did Leah get back so quickly? Oh yeah, she must have wolf-run, or whatever you call it.

"Lilah, it's about time you joined us, where are your manners?" My nana laughs as I kiss her on the forehead, and take a seat between Seth and Leah, across from my Nana and Papa.

"Yes, I invited your grandparents Lilah, I would love a chance to get to know your family better. I have a feeling we'll all be intertwined for a while," Sue interjects, sending Seth a wink, and he blushes.

"Seems like someone could use some lessons in punctuality, boy." My Papa speaks up. Oh no, he was going to give Seth a hard time, I could just tell from the gruffness of his voice. My papa didn't like Seth for some reason, he was too overprotective of me. "That would never fly in my unit in the navy."

"I apologize sir." Seth says formally, and Leah chuckles at his formality. I can tell from the look in his eye that he's going to try with all his might to win my grandpa over this evening. "I was driving slow in the rain, I didn't want to put Lilah in any danger."

Even I can't deny that that is a good answer, and my papa grumbles something under his breath, unable to come up with a complaint with a suck-up response like that. I go silent as everyone starts to dig into a Sue's delicious homecooked meal, my mind wanders as my nana makes conversation with Sue, loudly gossiping and laughing. The two seem to really hit it off, happy and laughing like old friends. This continues on as the table is cleared and a pie is brought out for desert.

"Lilah, darling?" I'm pulled from my thoughts and realize everyone at the table is looking at me, waiting for an answer.

"I'm sorry, what?" I chirp nervously, I hated being the center of attention.

"I asked what you like to do outside of school," Sue asks me politely.

"Oh... um." I'm not sure what to say, my life was pretty boring, but I liked it that way. "I like to read, and take photos, and write. I really like to garden," I finish lamely and frown, "I'm not very exciting."

The table chuckles at my statement, and I feel Seth's hand up the table rest gently on my knee, barely there, and I stifle a gasp at the tingles that trace up my leg and shoot straight into my heart. I liked this. I liked feeling close to Seth.

"Um... sir," Seth clears his throat, looking at my papa, his face is shaking a bit, like he's nervous. "I was wondering if I could have your permission to take Lilah out on a date tonight." Shivers run down my spine at his words, and a smile creeps on my face. Like, a date date? Does this mean he liked me back?

What if he gets sick of me? I saw him yesterday, and spent the night last night, and spent all day with him at Emily's today. What if he realizes how boring and plain and shy I am and runs away? Did he really want to spend more time with me?

"Why?" My papa grumbles, his eyes narrowing at Seth.

"W-why, Sir?" Seth stumbles, confused, then pulls together, "Uh, I enjoy Lilah's company. She's a beautiful girl." Sue let's out a little coo of "aw" at his statement.

"Beautiful?" My papa isn't impressed with his answer, "She's gorgeous."

"Yes, sir." Seth nods, not breaking eye contact with my papa, but squeezing a bit on my knee, making me blush. Leah sent me a knowing wink, and I flush even further in embarrassment.

"There's more than just her beauty. She's a smart girl," My papa scolds Seth, "She has just as much brains and kindness as she does looks."

"I completely agree, Sir." Seth nods again, still looking nervous.

"Sounds like Seth is smitten with our sweet Lilah," Sue practically swoons, eyeing Seth with a proud look in her eye. She was proud of his crush on me?

"I would say he's more than smitten," Leah chortles into her pie, and Seth shoots her a glare.

"What time would you have her back by?" My papa glares at Seth, not nudging an inch. "You aren't taking her out to a bar, or anywhere far?"

"Oh, hush you!" My nana chimes in, putting down her fork. "Leave the poor boy alone, can't you see he adores Lilah?" My nana was the only one who could put my papa in his place, "Stop being an overprotective bulldog, she's a grown girl."

"I'm just looking after our grandaughter," My papa defends his behavior.

"By scaring the wits out of Seth? He clearly cares just as much." My nana turns to Seth and smiles, "Seth, you are welcome in our home anytime. In fact, Sue, I think I can start calling you family by now, or you will be soon enough. How about you two run off on your little date while we have some girl time?"

"I have a feeling that's true as well," Sue agrees, winking at my nana as if there's some secret. "Off you two go!"