chapter three

"Wait," I cried out as the door slammed, finally coming to my sense. I peered out the windows in the door to see the slender figure hurrying away, her long, dark tassels of hair blowing in the wind behind her. Her scent was still fragmented through the room, making my stomach pull me towards her.

"Who was that?" I turn around and demand Leah and Embry and Quil, who each watch me with an amused expression on their face.

"Lilah," Embry says, digging into the brownies that I had thrust into his hands. "Joe and Hannie's granddaughter. She's in your grade."

"Why'd she go?" I mutter sadly, staring out the window as if she'd come back.

"You probably scared the girl half to death. She was shaking and stuttering, I think she's really shy." Leah frowns, before calling out across the house, "Mom! Get in here! Seth imprinted!"

I freeze in the mass drama that's about to ensue. My mom, Sue Clearwater, runs into the living room. "What? My boy imprinted? On who?"

"Joe and Hannie's granddaugher, Lilah. Just now!" Leah grins, punching my shoulder lightly. "I'm proud of you brother."

"My boy imprinted." My mom starts tearing up, wrapping her arms around me while Embry and Quil laugh some more. "And on such a lovely girl. She's always been so quiet and sweet. I just wish your father was here to see this." My mom's tears fall down her face.

"I know, mom." I hug her back, a stab of guilt running through my body. But I can't stay sad for more than a second with the thought that my beautiful soul mate was just here, I needed a plan of action. "I need to see her again."

"You could go to her house and just stare at her for another hour. Chicks did that." Quil snickers, "You're already pretty good at that. She must think you're just the weirdest thing ever."

"Shut up, Quil." Leah rolls her eyes. "You're not helping, like at ALL."

"These brownies are bomb." Embry finally chimes in, clanking the heavy pan onto the dinning room table. My mom wipes away a tear and picks up the pan, before gasping. "Sethy-" My mom's embarssing nickname for me,"I can send you to the Black's house to return the pan, it works perfect!"

"Will it scare her if I just show up again?" I say worriedly.

"Maybe not if you actually say something to the chick this time." Embry shrugs.

I had a plan.