Chapter 14 - Who Cares About The Toothpick?

Start from the beginning

After breakfast, tooth brushing, and final bag checks, we got in the Jeep. Kelly was looking over our schedules.

"We have four different math classes, but the same teacher for all of them?"

"There's only one math teacher in the high school," I explained. "He teaches everything. That's how most subjects are at Preston. Wait, you aren't taking math with Kristy and the other girls?"

"I have Precalculus. I took Geometry and Algebra II at my old school."

"As a freshman? Nice." I caught a glimpse in the mirror of Kristy smiling in the backseat. Wait...why was Kristy in the backseat and Kelly in the front?

Kelly shrugged. "It's not a big deal. It's just something we did at my old school. There were eight of us that were recommended to take ninth grade Algebra in the eighth grade. That way we could take one math class a year and still take Calculus as a senior. I doubled up anyway since I wanted time to take AP Statistics as a senior. Your, well...our, guidance counsellor said I might be able to take it as an independent study if I'm still here as a senior."

Kristy finally said something. "Rizzy's going to be jealous. She was always the go-to smart person in our class."

"Stop it," Kelly complained, but she was smiling. "I don't need people to think I'm conceited or something. So, will I be the only sophomore in Precalculus?"

"Yep," I said. "The first since Belle Fontaine took it five years ago. You'll know someone in it, though. Timmy's taking it. Not that he'll be any help. His motto is 'D stands for diploma,' when it comes to school."

"Oh that's right," Kelly said looking up from the schedules. "I forgot that I'll be going to school with him. I wonder if he's mad at me. I sort of, just stopped answering his texts."

"Don't worry. Timmy's a go-with-the-flow kind of guy. He'll be over it."

I pulled into the parking lot, and we all got out, trying to balance our regular bags plus gym bags. I didn't actually have gym, but I planned on working out after school. The girls had their first volleyball game tomorrow, and their coach had a reputation for talking their ears off the night before a game. I might have a lot of time to waste.

As we got out I told Kelly, "If you need anything, let me know. All the classes are pretty much in one hallway, so I'll be around."

"Huh-hum," Kristy fake-cleared her throat and raised an eyebrow. "She'll be in most of the same classes I will be...and all our other friends. We can surely manage to help her if she needs anything."

"Oh, yeah, of course. I was just offering."

* * *

The morning went by quickly for me. I had American Government, Calculus, and Speech. Fourth hour, I was a TA, Teacher's Assistant. I didn't know who I'd be TA for until I stopped in the office earlier that morning. If you wanted to be a TA you had to apply for it the previous year, then wait and see if a teacher requested you. I got requested by Mr. Parker during 10th grade English class. That meant I would be making copies, putting up bulletin boards, and doing other odd jobs during the class that my sister and all of her friends were there. It was a little awkward, since I hadn't talked to Rizzy, DJ, or Shogun since I stormed off at the picnic.

Lunch time finally came, and I found my way to my usual table, sitting with my friend Cindy. Cindy was my last really good friend at school besides Timmy. The rest had graduated or faded away over the years, starting with me coming out.

We were both nerds of sorts, and were locked in competition for valedictorian. The only reason I was winning right now was that I took an honors English class last summer that went on a grading scale above 4.00. Otherwise, we both had straight A's. She didn't take that class because every summer she and her family would take a mission trip somewhere through their Baptist church. This summer they went to Canada. I wasn't sure why Canada needed missionaries, but apparently they did. Her family was very religious, but after I came out, Cindy never stopped treating me the same way she always had. I appreciated that a lot.