Chapter 3: Trust

Levi's POV

Note to self: never let Hanji dictate you. I thought that she would see how bored I get of classes- I was simply wrong. One step into that classroom, everyone stared at me and knew I didn't belong there. I could've left, but Hanji's iron grip held me in place. She made me sit next to her, so I couldn't escape. Class began and whatever the teacher was teaching- it wasn't known to me. I tried to catch up, but I felt lost in that crowd. It wasn't easy at all... I wasn't even bored- just angered. 

The way Hanji did her work ever so swiftly- she didn't belong in this class. No. She was stared at, just like me. But the feeling in those stares were different. When those kids stared at me, it was to show discomfort and that I was not in charge there. With Hanji, those kids stared in awe and jealously. She never blinked an eye. 

After class ended, I stopped Hanji from leaving- letting the whole class go before we went. "Levi, what's wrong?"

"You drag me here... for nothing?" I growled in annoyance, not looking in her eyes. If I stare into them any longer, I'll be bribed to do whatever she wanted me to do... "This... this was useless."

She chuckles softly, pushing my shoulder a bit. "That's a lie."

In return, I growled at her- but she just chuckles. "A lie? How would you tell, Hanji?" 

"You're not as grumpy as earlier- that's for sure." So then, she pulled me away. Class was completely over- no more school for the rest of the day. "Now! Let's have some fun." Why did her soft giggles that used to sound annoying sound... sweeter? 

"Tch, aren't you going to your club?" I struggled to stand my ground, but she was too strong and... I let her take control over me. That's for sure, that I wanted her to lead me elsewhere. "Where are we going?"

"A secret! Shush!" I felt her tug on me more and into the halls. I ran to keep up her fast pace- if I could stare into those caramel eyes of hers, they would be shining brightly. I just followed her... not knowing my destination at all.

*   *   *

She didn't stop until her knees buckled under her- and I caught her. Once my hands reached for her, they were wrapped around her hips, and I fell down with her. How dare she fall on the top of a hill. As I tried to catch her from falling, we tumbled downhill. Stars were dancing around as I stared down at her- and she smiled gently at me.

"We are.. um, here..." She says gently, avoiding looking directly at me. 

"Oh."

I then got up from her, feeling bright red on my cheeks. Hanji giggles softly, sitting up-right and gazing around. When I turned around to see what she was looking at- at first, it reminded me of that little courtyard I sit in daily. Hills were up and down, trees were so large and majestic- breezing through the air. If I closed my eyes, I would be in that courtyard again. 

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Hm?" I looked towards her, seeing those specific eyes twinkling. "What? This... this place?"

"I like to call this my hidden land. Just a place of calmness. I... I actually love it here. So quiet and away from all the noise. I thought you might like it here. We can share it together. Our secret place."

I chuckled to that, seeing everything- how small we were here. It was just... "Hanji, you're entrusting this to me?"

"Why not? You showed me a place of refuge when I came here... I want to show something in return for you. If that place gets overrun or we can meet up somewhere, we can do this here. See? Listen. There's nothing but just the forest."

"That's... that's good."

Hanji smiles gently, laying her big head of hers on my shoulder. Softly, I heard her groan gently, watched her eyes fluttering close. "Mhm... and I come here often for naps..."

"Naps?" I didn't get a response, so when I looked down to her... she was already fast asleep. I chuckled gently, laying her on the soft grass. She was right about one thing... this place was good. I didn't want to leave her side, so I stayed next to her... falling right next to her with my arms curled around her. I will never leave her side... she trusted me too much.