Chapter 21

"(Y/n)!"

I look up, looking around the school yard. There, at the school gates, stands the only nineteen year old vanguard I know around here. I can feel the corner of my mouth creep up a bit. Something light flutters in my stomach as my pace quickens to the vanguard.

"Hey, Beanie Boy. What brings you here," I ask, staring up at him slightly.

His face flushes a bit, hand rubbing the back of his neck. Yata's clothes are the same as usual, nothing too new.

"I just wanted to make sure no one hurt you again," he mumbles, embarrassment obvious.

I smile a bit. "I'm capable of handling myself, Beanie Boy," I state.

My focus is on the male before me, subconsciously ignoring the weird looks I'm receiving from others.

"I know that! I just wanted to set myself at ease," he replies, avoiding eye contact.

I begin my trek home, a hand quickly clasping my right free one. I turn my head, (e/c) clashing with hazel.

"D-Do you wanna h-h-hang out...?"

He averts his gaze. I stare at the flustered boy. His eyes rest upon the skateboard with HOMRA's insignia on it. He brings his eyes up to meet mine once again.

"Ya know..."

"No. I don't know," I reply.

"Yeah you do! Just to hang out! Ya know... just to spend some time together..."

I smile slightly. "Sure."

I turn on my heels, dragging Yata to HOMRA by the hand. We walk alongside each other, people of course avoiding him now instead of me. They give weird looks to the chestnut haired boy. It's kinda quiet, no conversation between us.

"So how has HOMRA been," I ask, breaking the thin sheet of ice between us.

Yata has a slight tinge of pink to his cheeks.

"Th-They've been fine," he stutters.

There's another layer of ice that forms between us.

"H-How's home been," Yata inquires.

I hum to myself before replying. "It's the same as usual. Mom gets drunk off her ass and dad still is a coward," I explain. "But he hasn't been cowering away too much lately. He actually stood up for me."

The chestnut haired boy doesn't reply, so we continue on our journey to the bar in silence. It's the kind of silence that's comforting in a weird way.

After our forty-ish minute walk, we arrive in front of the small corner bar. Yata grabs the door, the small golden bell chiming. We walk in.

"Big sister!"

My gaze bounces around the room, finally landing on the small white haired lolita in her doll like clothes. She rushes up to me, hugging my waist. I, of course, hug back.

"Yatagarasu~! What's up with you and (y/n) holding hands?" Rikio teases.

Yata's face blossoms into a variety of red colors. I stare at him, releasing Anna from my hug.

"I-It was nothing!" Yata claims, a snarl on his face.

Rikio keeps poking and prodding at the dog, causing it to snap and bite back.

"It's nothing, slow fatty!"

"Sure~! Nothing at all~" Rikio continues to goad.

Yata's face is no longer flush from embarrassment, but from annoyance and rage. His crimson red aura arouses, a glowering look accompanying his face. The blonde, overweight, man, with shades, cowers in slight fear. Sweat starts to perspire from his forehead.