Chapter 10

"This may burn," Rikio warns me.

I suck in a breath, feeling the stinging sensation against the peeled back skin of my neck. I shut my (e/c) eyes tightly, gripping the edge of the sofa. "Rikio. You're hurting her," Yata says.

I peek my eye open, seeing intense hazel eyes watching me closely. Yata locks eyes with me, struggling to pull away. "I told her it was going to sting," Rikio deadpans.

Yata clicks his tongue, crossing his arms over his chest. "Yeah, yeah. Just don't hurt her too much," Yata growls. "Oi! (Y/n)."

I look to the vanguard with an awake, calm gaze. His cheeks gain a light pink dusting. "If it starts hurting, just tell Rikio to stop. If he doesn't, I'll be the one to beat whatever shit is left inside of him," Yata says menacingly.

Rikio pops backwards with his hands up. "Chill, Yatagarasu! No one's gonna hurt (y/n)," he snaps in defense.

The blonde man goes back to sanitizing my burns. A snicker is heard near me. "You know Yata... you're starting to show how you like (y/n)," Chitose teases.

Yata's face flushes red. "Shut up, Chitose or I'll punch you."

"Yeah, yeah. Like hell you will. You're just embarrassed that you like (y/n)."

"Shut up!" Yata's face is less flush but he looks pissed.

The vanguard has a burning rage in his eyes. His fist are clenched tight. I open my mouth to say something but, Rikio places a hand on my shoulder and shakes his head. I shut my mouth, dragging my gaze back to Yata and Chitose. "Come on, Yata. Stop denying your feelings. It's pointless," Chitose keeps prodding.

Yata glares enraged daggers to the brown haired boy. "Shut your trap, moron..." he snarls. A red glow lingers around the boy.

"Like I could, Misaki."

That was the final straw. Quicker then what my eyes could register, Chitose is on the wooden floor. Yata is straddling his abdomen, throwing heated punches. His fist is engulfed in a wildfire. "Yatagarasu," Rikio shouts, his hand tightening on my shoulder.

Some of the clansmen back up and away. Shōhei and Bandō race to pry Yata off of the struggling male beneath him. They're tossed to the side. "Don't touch me," Yata barks, his body doused in flames.

Chitose cries out in pain, his breathing becoming meer pants. Shōhei and Bandō go after Yata again. Flames spew from the boy with the beanie. "Yatagarasu! Stop," Bandō cries out in anguish.

I get up. "(Y/n). Don't intervene," Rikio warns, his eyes strict.

I click my tongue, giving a hard look to the blonde man. He flinches. I walk over to Yata, placing my hand through the flames to his shoulder. The flames start eating my arm. I wince. I muster up the courage to talk. "Yata."

He turns his angry gaze to me. "Let go if me, (y/n)," he warns. "I don't want to hit a girl."

I shake my head. "I'm not letting go until you stop," I reply.

My hand becomes fuzzy and warm. A (e/c) glow encases my hand and arm that's in the flames. "(Y/n)-"

"Yata. Stop," I state in a dangerous tone.

He looks at me, his eyebrows relaxing slightly. Shōhei and Bandō grab Yata, dragging him off of Chitose. Yata shouts insults towards Chitose as he's dragged away. Rikio hoists Chitose up and to the couch. I tail behind them. "Sit here," Rikio says, placing Chitose on the seat.
Chitose groans.

I stand in front of the battered up male. He cracks his eyes open. "Heh... damn Yata. You didn't have to burn your own friend," he chuckles.

"Chitose..." my voice trails off.