Chapter 18

(f/f)= favorite food
____________________________________
"What are you thinking?!"

I mentally slap myself. I can feel the heat rising to my cheeks and flushing red.

"(Y/n)? Are you okay? Your face got really red," Izumo states.

I glare up to the bartender with sharp (e/c) eyes. His eyes are easy to read. He knows exactly why my face is red.

"I'm fine, Mr. Kusanagi," I reply with a monotone voice.

He smirks, going back to polishing wine glasses. That man must be obsessed.

"H-Hey, (y/n)," Yata speaks up, finally acknowledging me.

I walk over to the red velvet couch he's sitting on, and sit next to him. "Sup," I reply.

There's a growing awkwardness surrounding us in less than five minutes. The elephant squeezes its way between the vanguard and me, irking me a tad bit.

"So," Yata starts, dragging out the 'o'. "How was the farmers market?"

"It was fine. Chie took home all the stuff we got since my parents would've thrown it out. Anna also wanted some red candy so she got a bag," I story tell, holding up the bag.

Yata takes the bag, opening it. His face crinkles up in what I'm assuming is disgust. "The smell is very bad," he comments.

I stare at him with a dead face. "No shit. It's a mix of sweet, sour, fruity, and spicy. I think it would smell bad," I state in an obvious way.

Yata rolls his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

I smirk victoriously since he didn't have a come back. He reaches into the bag, pulling out a mystery red candy without any label.

"Oh yeah! That's the one I couldn't figure out what it was," I comment, staring at the red sphere like candy.

The daring vanguard unwraps the candy, popping it into his mouth. I stare at him to get a reaction. His mouth starts chewing and then his whole body freezes. His left eye twitches.

"Yata...?"

"Wa... ter," he strains.

His face flushes and his forehead breaks out into a heated sweat. I beckon Izumo over to order a glass of water for the dying male.

"What is it, (y/n)," Izumo asks.

"I think Yata ate a fireball and he's dying," I explain.

"Wa... ter," Yata whispers.

Izumo laughs. "The vanguard of HOMRA in pain after eating a fireball. How interesting," Izumo comments, a smirk peeling along his face.

Yata scowls at the man. "Just get me a glass of water," he demands in a hoarse voice.

Izumo walks away to the bar. I stare at Yata, not realizing my mouth twitching upwards.

"You're smiling," Yata states, coughing.

I touch my lips, noticing the curve at the corners. My mouth falls flat again. "I didn't even notice," I mumble, gazing at the interesting floor boards.

"Hey," Yata calls over to me. "Y-You look p-p-prettier smiling," he stutters, sending himself into a coughing fit.

I pat his back, rubbing it in circles. Izumo finally brings a glass of water over for Yata. The dying vanguard takes the glass of water and chugs it all down in one gulp. He lets out a sigh. "You could've been quicker with that, you know," Yata complains.