Rite of Passage

Bella

 "I wish you would have at least seriously considered it," Edward said to me, as we sat cross-legged on our bed across from each other. 

"I did. You got one prom out of me when you tricked me as you'll recall, and that's it," I said firmly. 

"You don't remember the way my kisses used to nearly make you faint, but you remember that?" he teased, leaning close to me.

 I ignored him. "Besides, this prom isn't even for my class, or yours," I pointed out. 

"They'd have let us go anyway," he said confidently, leaning back on his hands. "You know Principal Cruz has a little thing for me."

 He was right, she did. He found it highly amusing. He gave a sigh and looked at me wistfully. "You would have looked exquisite in something backless, love." 

"I can wear something like that here," I said dismissively. 

"Oh?"

 "Yeah, pick something out, and I'll wear it for you," I said, my voice softening. 

"Tonight?" he asked hopefully.

 "Sure. There's gotta be something in my closet Alice got for me that I haven't worn yet."

 "Will you dance with me?"

 "Sure," I said again, smiling at him. 

He lifted our linked hands and kissed the back of mine.

 "Looking forward to it," he said, his eyes bright. I squeezed his hand and said, "Let's go see what everybody else is up to." "I'm sure Renesmee has painted herself up by now."

"She said she wasn't going too dramatic with her makeup," I said. 

"Good. It's uncalled for. She always has been a natural beauty like her mother." 

I pressed my lips together and smiled, looking down. He laughed quietly. 

"While blood may not rush to your cheeks anymore, I can still tell when it would have," he said with a grin. 

I smiled back at him and stuck out my neck, asking for a kiss. He cradled my face and gave me a soft peck. 

Renesmee

 "Bobby pin, please," I said, holding out my hand to Swan, who was sitting on my parent's bathroom counter.

 We'd decided to get ready for prom over here. The whole family wanted to see us off, and this is where the kids were spending the night. I was putting my hair up in a fairly simple French twist. It looked simple if you didn't know how much time Swan and I had spent with the flat irons. 

"You know," she said as she handed me another bobby pin, "you could have your own bathroom at home if you wanted. Then you wouldn't have to share with Daddy." 

"That's okay, I like sharing things with your dad," I said. 

"I don't like sharing a bathroom with Asa," she whispered. "He pees on the seat!" 

"I know, but he's still new at this whole using the potty thing. He'll get the hang of it," I assured her.

 For not even being a year old, he was doing very well. He looked almost two, and everything he did, I still found precious. 

"Hey!" my mom said, appearing in the doorway. "You look great!" 

"Thanks," I said, smiling at myself in the mirror. 

My dress was a two-toned burgundy and flowed down to the floor. It was strapless, with the midline cut out to expose just the tiniest peek of my midline. I was showing just enough cleavage, not too much. It was mermaid shaped but it left me enough legroom to walk. I was quite pleased with my ensemble. It was exciting to dress up and go out, we didn't do it that often, definitely not like this.