Chapter 10: Be My Eternity

Bragnae stood there in shock as Madeleine brushed past her on the way to the plane. She knew Madeleine probably spent the night with Liam the night they all first met, but she figured it was a 'one and done' for both of them. Hence her surprise when Madeleine announced she was joining them on their excursion to mainland Japan.

Hana and Maxwell made their way over to the plane as well when Bragnae turned to Drake. "Madeleine?"

Drake threw his hands up, rolling his eyes as he shook his head. "Who knows?"

Maxwell had arranged a free military transport that was leaving from Okinawa, and traveling to Yokota Air Base, which was just outside of Tokyo, to take them all on their vacation. The C-5 Galaxy aircraft, that normally transports troops and cargo on official business, had plenty of seats to spare. Since the U.S. military offers extra seats to its service members and their families when available during routine transports, Maxwell took advantage of the deal, and snagged six spots for everyone.

As they boarded the Galaxy, Bragnae noticed several bundles of cargo secured by netting and fasteners in the back of the plane beyond their seats. There were a few other people traveling on the plane in addition to her crew, but the seats were mostly empty. Liam and Madeleine had already found their seats as Hana and Maxwell filled in two rows behind them. Drake grabbed Bragnae's hand, and led her back another few rows behind their friends.

"What? Do we stink?" Maxwell turned around in his seat to ask Drake.

"We're going to be sharing hotel rooms throughout this trip, Maxwell. I think a little space on this plane is going do us all some good," Drake replied, settling his things in the seat next to him.

Bragnae sat back in her seat next to Drake. The rows were set up with five seats across, and they sat in the middle. She looked around her. She'd never been on a military aircraft before despite serving in the military for several years. Usually, military members would only ride them when deploying or during special training exercises, and Bragnae didn't fall into either of those categories. The walls of the aircraft were windowless, and lined with seating that faced all of the other seats in the middle. The Galaxy was huge to say the least.

After a few minutes, the engines roared to life, and the plane began taxiing down to the runway. Compared to commercial flights, riding in a C-5 was extraordinarily loud. The aircraft increased its speed as it prepared for take-off. Bragnae barely heard Maxwell as he shouted with excitement, and raised his hands in the air as the plane lifted towards the sky for their two and half hour flight.

As the aircraft leveled out, Bragnae felt a shiver run throughout her body. "Damn, it's cold on this plane."

Drake reached into the bag next to him. "Here," he said, handing her a rolled up red blanket.

"A blanket! You think of everything!" Bragnae took the blanket from him, and unrolled it.

"I brought it for you," he said as he assisted her in draping it over her bare legs.

Bragnae smiled at him. "You did? But how did you know I'd need it?"

"Well, Princess, you wear dresses a lot, and I know you're only used to flying on commercial flights. Since you've never flown on one of these before," he continued, gesturing to the plane cabin, "I figured you wouldn't know how drafty they can be."

Bragnae considered him for a moment. "I'd be offended by that snarky comment, but you're right. And I've never deployed before so..."

"Yeah, I know. And I'm not sure you'd make it if you ever had to," he told her with a smug side glance.

"Well, thank you for thinking of my spoiled ass when you packed this." Bragnae reached over to grab his chin, pulling him in for a sweet kiss that lingered.