xi. mira raine

call you mine
and hold you tight
in the open wave of life

"are you gonna tell me where we are going?" i said, crossing my arms.

"i think you know," he said simply.

i fought back a smile. god, i've missed him.

soon enough, we were on the spot in the forest where we'd always go, next to the lake and the place where we caught fireflies.

harry sat against a tree, facing the sunset above the lake. i followed his actions.

we were in silence for a while, until he sighed.

"my parents died on a car crash this spring. that's why i'm here."

he looked at me, his eyes watered and i realized i hated this. i hated seeing him in pain. i hated being the one causing his pain.

"they were coming home after couple's therapy. i didn't know after they died. they were on the verge of getting a divorce. but they decided to fight. for them. for me, maybe. and definitely for love."

"harry..." i said, tears welling up in my own eyes.

"i know you are afraid of love, mira raine," he said softly, grabbing my hand. "and who could blame you? you feel like you're just a girl walking into a storm. but, mira raine, you are the storm. you are the rain, the thunder, the clouds, and everything in between. and while some people are okay just admiring the storm, i'm the type of person to take off my shoes and dance madly beneath it."

his hand cupped the side of my face and i leaned into him, tears falling freely.

"i love you, mira raine. you don't need to say it back. but i know you feel it. i know you do."

i wiped my eyes and tried to control my breathing. "harry, i'm not right for you."

he traced his thumbs over my cheekbones and looked at me with such an endearing expression that i had to look away.

"i wouldn't dream of falling for someone who couldn't misbehave," he said while tilting my chin up, forcing me to look at him.

suddenly, i had the urge to laugh. i laughed through my tears and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"god harry," i said and placed a chaste kiss over his lips. "i love you. i'm so in love with you."