30. Night walks

Soft sun rays peeked in saying good morning to people who slept till now, covered in soft warm blankets. Some had heaters on. For some 2 to 3 thick duvets were enough to shroud them —— warm and safe from cold. The intensity of sunlight wasn't so strong that could pinch Zalay eyes and wake her up, it was actually her time to wake up.

She heard a distant bird sing. She didn't know what bird it was. But it sounded very pleasant to her ears. She slowly opened her eyes. At this time when the sun has midway risen, its rays directly penetrated through her window and bombarded her bed. She could feel the slightest warmness of weak and hazy sun rays through duvet and it was so soothing her body that she didn't want to get out of bed. She then again heard a bird sing, pretty far-off this time.

Zalay opened her eyes, slowly adjusting them as she turned to other side to face the window. She saw the tips white spruce trees standing erect from a distance, cladded in snow. Allah knew where this bird was and how it looked.

Trees looked wearing white dress. And the roads seemed to be painted white. She slowly pushed herself up in sitting posture and rested her half being on headboard. Her hands now resting above thick quilt. Something caught the attention of her eyes as it shone the very second when the soft rays collided with it.

Her eyes unintentionally went to her hands even though she knew what it was. She slightly smiled when she looked at the ring, she wore. It sparkled with pride, reflecting the warm feelings of the person to whom she belonged now.

2 Months! It had been 2 months since she was engaged to Zumeer Ahmed. And these two months she had also faced a lot, confronted many taunts but she withstood it 'cause she was fulfilling something her mother had wished.

The train of her thoughts was detracted when her stomach growled. She pushed the quilt aside and wore her leg to get out of bed. She took out the ring and placed it on the sink before taking a shower and changing into a casual Shalwar Kameez. She wrapped her dupatta around her head and came down the stairs for breakfast. It was 7 in the morning and they used to have the breakfast by 7:30 so it wasn't ready and served on table. However she went to kitchen to have a check on the maid.

There she found someone else and she was glad to see her. "Assalam-o-Alaikum! Fatima" Zalay sweetly greeted her. Fatima looked at her and returned the smile, "Walaikum Assalam! How are you?"

"Right in front of you" Zalay replied nicely, "what are you up to?" Zalay looked around. Fatima shook her head in negative expressing 'Nothing'.

Aahil was back from America a week ago but to everyone's freaking surprise, he wasn't alone, he brought Fatima along. Fatima was an American but she was very nice. It was her love for Aahil that she embraced Islam to be with him. Her family nomore supported that decision of hers and asked her to leave bag and luggage. Aahil brought her Canada. He respected her decision and he knew that she would stay with him through every up and down if she could leave her family right now for him.

But guess what it was not this easy here. She was not being accepted by Zalay's family. But on the constant insistence of Aahil she was now living in their home, in the guest room. Zalay realised that's how Zumeer must have forced his mother too. Heart of a mother give in so easily even if you call them so strict-hearted. The balmy love of mother always blooms even on the stony heart.

Fatima was staying here but she was not allowed to meet or talk to Aahil and Aahil also was just too indulged into his wedding preparations. Wedding was soon because Aahil had to leave in the next 10 days for his upcoming deal with a company in Germany. On the other hand Fatima was practicing Islam with the family members.