24. It aint finished

Zalay stepped down and joined her family on breakfast table. They all chitchatted and gossiped whilst eating down.

It was Yashfa who spoke, "hey Zalay, where were you last night?"

"With friends" Zalay simply replied pouring down the juice. Zalay was intrigued for why out of blue is Yash-sis asking about her routine.

"Oh" she made an 'o' face, "like what you guys did?"

"Nothing. We went to ice cream parlour and then had a walk by road" Zalay preferred lying, for saying the truth was of no use. Moreover she didn't want to get judged.

"Yah but my friends say that they saw some girl in a yellow frock in a University party. They said she resembled with your cousin"

Zalay looked up at her and so everyone, "is that what your friends said——that can be anyone!" Replied Zalay.

"We all know that it was you. You were the one wearing yellow dress last night. Why would you hide the real you from us" Yashfa comment hit her a little hard.

"Since how long?" Asked Aunty Samina.

"What does it mean?" Zalay put the fork down. She looked a bit confused.

"I have had enough of this Mom. Why all restrictions for me?" Yashfa grunted looking at her mother.

"Daughters represent their families. You represent yours and she hers. She's representing it very well" Aunty Samina spoke making the environment tense, "Noman Sahab! Don't tell me you didn't get to see it now. You always stand for your beloved niece and thats how she is paying you back"

"I agree I went but i can e-explain" spoke Zalay

"No need of your explanations" Samina lifted her hand, "Noman Sahab! Why don't you say something now? Only caging your daughter is not enough"

"Calm down Samina. She is my brother's blood"

"Dad i, too, have asked her to quit such things but she never listens" Omer spoke out only to add fuel to water.

"Oh Allah!" she shifted cloyingly and addressed to Mr. Noman again, "here we are giving you proofs and you are stuck with your brother's blood. God Knows what she had been doing outside"

"Enough! I haven't done anything. Why you guys are freaking out"

"See now she is shouting at we —- elders" Samina seemed to be done with it.

"No. I am not shouting" Zalay spoke turning everyone's attention towards her, "Lemme just complete first"

Zalay inhaled and then turned to Yashfa. Zalay took a deep breath. When she had levelled her eyes with Yashfa, she asked, "which of your friends know me?" This was the question that Zalay asked and it was enough for Yashfa to sit with her mouth shut.

"Tell me Yashfa. Out of your cirlce, who was there at party too?" Zalay's eyes watered for some instant but it quickly vanished off. She had a good talent of gulping down tears, "i have scarcely met any of your friends as you consider me a shame or so"

"Then which of your friends could recognise me when they haven't even seen me?" It was a bit pause moment as they all negotiated through eyes. Omar was the first one as he frowned and then his eyes traveled to Yahsfa as if he too wanted the answer.

Zalay got the guts to say it. She knew taking a step could lessen the storm and so it happened. All the dubious glares were now gazing Yashfa.