chapter sixteen

Casey rode to school with Bella. The both of them stood in the parking lot waiting for the buses to arrive for the field trip.

The Cullens arrived shortly after the girls, waiting outside of their cars like the rest of the students. Mr. Molina called out to the teenagers, making sure everyone had their permission slips signed.

Casey caught Alice's eye from across the lot, recieving a bright smile and wave from the pixie-like girl. Casey returned the favor with a smile and wave of her own. Jasper turned at something Alice said, looking up and locking eyes with Casey. She gave him a bright smile before turning back to listen to what Bella was telling her.

"I mean, he won't even talk to me. Who does that? Saves your life and then won't even say 'hi' to you? This is insane!" Bella ranted. "I think you might be overreacting," Casey said calmly. Bella gave her a look that said 'really?' and Casey gave her a reassuring smile. "I'm sure you will figure it out Bells. Edward is just," Casey searched for the right word, trying not to offend Edward since she knew he could hear her. "He's kind of a like a lone wolf." "No pun intended" Isaac giggled. His family rolled their eyes.

Bella raised her eyebrows at Casey, and she sighed. "Okay, look at it this way. Edward is like the basic 'you're not my real dad' emo boy, and you're like, the really awkward, but cute!, new girl. It's a stereotypical match made in a cliche heaven!" Bella was staring at her blankly, as was Edward from across the lot.

Their conversation was interrupted when Mike approached the girls. "Hey Bella. Casey," he nodded to her and she nodded back awkwardly. "So, ya'know, prom's coming up. I was wondering if you'd like to go? What do you think?" Casey pursed her lips, looking over to Bella, who Mike was desperately awaiting an answer from. Casey nudged her and Bella jumped slightly turning back to Mike. "Um, sorry. What?" Mike smiled nervously, "Prom? With me?" Bella's eyes widened, excuses flying through her mind. "Um, no. No. I actually am not going to prom. I have a flight to Jacksonville that weekend." Mike fidgeted, "You can't go another weekend?" "Nonrefundable ticket." He nodded sadly, embarrassment flooding his features.

"What about you, Case? You got a date yet?" Casey blinked at Mike, her mind blank for a moment at the suprise. Had he really just got rejected by Bella, then turned right to her? Who the hell does that? "Um, I have a boyfriend, remember? I'm not sure if we're going," she said awkwardly. Mike nodded. "You should ask Jessica." Casey nodded in agreement, "Totally. She'd be so excited." "You think so?" The girls nodded and Mike walked away smiling to himself.

The buses pulled up in front of the school, and Mr. Molina ushered all of the students into them. Casey rode with Bella on the way to the greenhouse, the two talking about Bella's new trip to Jacksonville.

Shortly after arriving at the greenhouse, the girls got separated. Casey fell into step with Jasper, right behind Alice and Isaac. They walked hand in hand through the rows of flowers and a variety of other plants that Casey couldn't care to name.

Jasper pulled a purple lily from the abundance of flowers. With a smile, he offered the lily to Casey, who accepted it with rosy cheeks. He smiled softly at her as they walked, leaning down to kiss her red cheeks.

Edward and Bella walked behind them. Bella was frustrated, why were the Cullens so weird? And why did Casey click with all of them so easily? She couldn't even have a normal conversation with Edward.

Alice bounced up to Casey as soon as she and Jasper exited the greenhouse. "Casey! Look at this flower! This color would look amazing on you," she exclaimed. Casey laughed, "What are you talking about Alice?" Alice's eyes widened, "Prom, of course! There's a custom dress boutique in Seattle, and me and you are going this weekend." Casey nodded, "Okay, I'll have to check with Michael first." "Perfect! He's going to say yes!"

___

Alice, Casey, and Rosalie drove into Seattle at 7:00 Saturday morning. Casey was asleep in the backseat, having had been woken up at 4 a.m. by Alice.

Alice pulled into the drive through of Dunkin Donuts just as Casey stirred awake. "Case, what do you want for breakfast?" Casey gave Alice her order and brushed through her hair with her fingers. "Here. I knew you'd be a mess," Rose said teasingly while passing Casey a hairbrush.

Casey finished her donut and sipped on her vanilla ice coffee in the backseat as Alice drove them to the dress shop. "The woman who owns the boutique is really sweet. I should probably add that she's a vampire, but she's not dangerous, I promise." Alice explained. Casey nodded along tiredly, only half listening as she drank her coffee.

The sudden ringing of her phone startled her, making her almost spill her coffee. Looking at the caller ID she saw it was Jasper and answered the phone.

"Hey Jazz," Casey said happily. "Tell him we say hi," Alice said. "Alice and Rose say hi," Casey added.

"Hey darlin'. Are you there yet?" Jasper asked.

"Not yet. I think we're almost there though. Right Alice?" Alice nodded from the front seat.

"Alright love. Have fun, be careful. I miss you."

Casey smiled to herself, her heart melting. "I miss you too. I love you."

"I love you sweetheart. I'll see you when you get back."

They hung up and Casey set her phone in her lap, smiling silently to herself. "You guys are so cute its disgusting." Rose said. "I think their cuteness is adorable." Alice grinned.

"Oh, we're here!" Alice parked the car in a spot near the entrance. The trio exited the car, walking into the boutique. Alice immediately recognized the owner and squealed in excitement, the other vampire doing the same. "Cora, it's so good to see you!" "You too, Allie!" The girls hugged while Casey and Rose stood back and watched.

"So, I got your message and I am so excited to make a prom dress for this beautiful young human." Her eyes shifted to Casey, who smiled lightly. "So, what did you have in mind?"