Oh shit, now he was nervous. What would she think? What would she do? Will she even read it, maybe throw it out? Whatever she ends up doing is out of his reach, of course, but he could only hope she gives it a chance. Closure would help seal the tension between them at the very least. He wasn't expecting much but he hoped that they could be friends again...

"So rare to catch you so distracted," the voice of his best friend interrupted his thoughts. Itachi fixed his posture and greeted Shisui with a small smile.

"I see the search team has pulled you out of the well you fell into," Itachi threw back, "where have you been, bud?"

"Nowhere else but work." Shisui sighed as he took a seat and reached for the pre-ordered drink that the waitress left at the table on a drive-by.

"Though you should've been somewhere else, don't you think?"

"Whoa there! Was I summoned to relax with my best friend or to be lectured? Is this an ambush?"

"Shisui," Itachi broke the humor for a moment, for once. "I've been taking your place for important events. Yes, I am here to hang out with you but I am also here to make sure you aren't in any trouble."

The groom leaned back on the booth and let out another sigh, looking at his best man in a lazy manner. "I'm not in any trouble. Like I said, I'm simply swamped with work."

"I understand, but you could've made time for events that needed your presence." Itachi put aside his drink to lean forward on the table, getting a bit more serious. "I'm also having a talk with you as a favor, so you want to share what's really going on?"

Shisui chuckled before downing the rest of his drink. "I'm a little hurt you suspect more of me, Itachi, but sorry to disappoint I am simply being assigned more work than before. I wouldn't have the time or energy for other affairs."

"What in the world are they making you do in the middle of your wedding planning?"

"Listen, fine, I am getting a promotion," Shisui revealed, "I am aware that I've been absent more than I should be, but fuck I'm just trying to afford this wedding, and that requires a little bit of extra time dedicating to work."

Itachi mirrored Shisui's pose of leaning back on his seat this time. "Don't you think you're risking something important by being away this much? You don't want a dent in your marriage, do you?"

"Of course not, but I am sacrificing a bit of time now so I won't have to do it afterwards, if you can grasp that."

Itachi stayed quiet for a moment to process his defense. "Alright, fine, I can understand the logic behind that, but just consider being around a bit more, especially now that we're nearing the day. You know how exhausting it's been taking your place?"

"I can surely imagine," Shisui laughed along with Itachi's chuckle, the mood was finally lifting. "How has [Name] been, by the way? Throughout the time you've spent with her, what's the verdict on what I should be aware of?"

"Are you asking me to give you a review on your own fiance?" Itachi rolled his eyes at the smug smile Shisui wore in response. "Fine, nothing dramatic. She knows what she wants and makes sure every detail is on par. Nothing exciting to tell, really."

Except I almost confessed to her.

"That's awfully positive for the [Name] I've gotten to know."

You don't know her like I do.

"The girl has had to make decisions practically on her own."