She was my mother's best friend, my first coach, and the other closest person who celebrated my basketball victories with me. She was an amazing mentor and it hurt a little to leave her... after what I've done.

"I'm going to miss you Leah," She spoke softly and hugged me tightly.

"I'm going to miss you too," I said with my eyes watering a bit. She was the only person here who knew my mother on a more personal level.

Damn it, I promised myself I wasn't going to cry.

"Here," she said, handing me a basketball and a bag with her eyes glistening.

I shook my head, I couldn't.

"Come on Leah, just take it... for us," she said as I sighed. She handed it to me as I held it and looked at all the signatures and notes that she probably made everyone write.

"I love you" she whispered in my ear. I closed my eyes before responding,

"You too"

"Okay, Leah, come on, we have to go," My dad said while looking heartfelt at us. He knew very well about our coach/player bond.

I nodded and retracted my arm from Coach Burns, she held on a little longer before letting go as well.

Dad held me close to his side as we waved to everyone.

"Okay, bye guys. We'll call as soon as we land!" He said as we got into the car. I looked at my friends and gave them both a small nod.

My dad closed my door as I set the stuff on my lap, then the car started to move. I continued to stare out the window where my friends once stood and sighed.

I had a million questions and they only led back to one place.

Korea?! We're moving back to Korea?!

I didn't want to go back there, not to the place that will remind me of my mother. I had a good thing going on here... in America.

But no.

I was so into my brooding session that I didn't notice we were already at the airport. I took my carry-on bag, the bag that Burns gave me, and the basketball before getting out.

My dad looked at the stuff and sighed. I hoped it would change his mind but he just looked away.

We were checked in and now sitting in our seats. I put my headphones in and my hood on after, this was going to be a long flight and I didn't get to sleep these past couple of days.

I knew my dad tried talking to me during the flight but he eventually understood that I needed time.

My dad... well my birth mother's adopted brother became my permanent caregiver after she passed away.

It's a long story, and I might as well tell you.

Kim Namjoon.

This man was there for me like my own personal guardian angel. He was my mothers' adopted little brother and her bestest friend in the whole wide world despite not being blood-related.

Namjoon was there when I was born, when I learned to walk, and even when I said my first word, which was 'Joon', up until now.

He was one of my biggest supporters, along with my mother. He was like an older brother but I saw him as my best friend.

He's only a couple of years older than me but we've been inseparable, that was until my mother moved us to the states.

It was going well here, my mother and I were living our best life in a new place and we were both happy.

Then in 200X, she passed away in a car crash. It was really bad that she was gone by the time the EMTs came.

Namjoon was the closest family member and he was only a teenager when he pledged to take full responsibility for me alongside my grandma and they permitted it because he was my godparent.

I was young when it happened, and I probably didn't understand much then but I remembered being so devastated. Namjoon was there for me and I'm forever grateful.

After that, Namjoon and I stayed in the same house and he took care of me as if I was his own. He cared for me, called me his daughter, and loved me.

He moved to the states permanently for school and learned English. It all came easily to him since he was so smart.

I think I called him dad one time by accident but he didn't mind. I honestly think he cried for hours after and then it just stuck.

He smiles like an idiot when I call him 'Dad', even now, and I always roll my eyes but deep down I enjoy it as well.

Even if we're not related by blood, he's still my family and he'll always be my dad.