| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ

{ ʀᴇɢʀᴇᴛs }

| Lily |

My pencil glides along the paper that sits neatly in my lap as I finish up writing yet another letter to Gilbert.

   My nose was bleeding the other day, and I don't know why...

    ...Sometimes I feel weak again, like I'm going to faint...

    ...I thought that I would be better

I haven't told anyone about what's been happening lately, not even Anne, who knows practically every little detail about my life now. But how could I tell her this? How am I supposed to tell her that something is wrong?

The sun shines above me, as I can see from the window of our writing club, I should get going. I stand up abruptly, only to encounter a hazy feeling that washes over me too quickly for me to realize that I've fallen back down onto the floor, maybe I should eat something...

My eyes flutter open revealing familiar surroundings as I sit up, rubbing my head. I stand up slowly, the letter still clutched tightly in my hand and leave the writing club.  The air is cool around me, and the sun is setting somewhere in the distance. Great. I walk alone through the woods, only fearing the answers to the questions that were attacking me from every angle. What's wrong with me?

| Anne |

"So I was thinking," I say upon entering Lily's room, only to find her kneeling on the floor, appearing to be searching for something under her bed. Oh no. "Everything okay?" I timidly ask.

"I'm... I'm just looking for something," she tells me, panic ensuing her features, "you wouldn't happen to have seen a box full of papers under here? They're very important." My eyes go wide, but she doesn't notice. She's too busy frantically searching under her bed until she finds the box and sighs gratefully. If only she knew there wasn't anything there.

"I should probably tell you why I'm freaking out," she says while opening the box.

"Um... Lily."

"I know I shouldn't keep secrets from you but-" she stops mid-sentence, staring at the non-existent contents of the box. "Wait, where are they."

"I tried to tell you," I lie uneasily, "I was cleaning and school's starting soon so I thought that you wouldn't need any of your papers from last year." I look down at my feet, unable to meet her eyes.

"What did you do with them?"

"I kinda... threw them away," I tell her, which obviously isn't true, we sent the letters out only yesterday.