If These Walls Could Talk 🔞

Kala is a writer who has been employed to work at Nine Stories. What happens when she receives some upsetting news late one afternoon when her and Jake are the only ones left in the office.

Warnings: So much smut. I'm gonna be going straight to hell when I die so see y'all there I guess hahaha.

Kala could do nothing more than stare down at the bright, vibrating object in shock. She read the next message and the next. Each more hurtful. Tones harsh, vehement and emotionless.

She suddenly felt cold all over, a strange rush of chill air running up her spine til she could barely breath. She shuffled the papers on the coffee table in front of her and tried to see through the tears blurring her vision.

They splattered to the pages in her hands and she cursed and dabbed the now ink smeared words in frustration. Her phone lit up again and she grabbed the offending object before pegging it across the room.

It thudded against the plush carpet and Kala sighed tiredly and lay her head back against the couch, eyes closed and mind darting chaotically like atomic excitation.

"You know, violence isn't always the answer. Especially if that violence costs $1200."

She jumped in surprise, releasing a relieved breath of air when she recognised the gentle lilt of Jake's voice.

She turned and watched him lean casually against the door frame of his office and saw his eyes crinkle up slightly when he noted the glisten of tears on her cheeks.

"Everything okay? I'm not - I'm not working you too hard, am I?" He wondered worriedly and Kala quickly shook her head, "No! No, not at all. I just - rough day."

She brushed the dampness from her face and cleared her throat, almost instantly throwing on a believable smile as she stood, "I need coffee. You want coffee?"

He shot her an unconvinced half smile but let it slide for the moment, "Sure. But I'll make it. You look like you've dealt with enough today."

"Don't be silly, I'll -"

"Sit down and relax. Let me make YOU coffee for once." Jake added firmly and she smiled bashfully and gave a small nod, "Okay."

While he disappeared to the break room to make coffee, Kala apprehensively retrieved her phone from the floor and stared down at the screen.

She opened her messages and scrolled upwards, her hands shaking as she collapsed back onto the couch morosely.

I'm done.

Done? With what?

This thing between us.

You mean, us dating? Why? Why would you say that?

Just not really feeling it any more.

You said you really like me.

I do but there's just no spark there. You're a great friend and it'd be cool if we could still hang out

Are you kidding me? You just broke up with my via text. Go fuck yourself!

Fine. I'm done then. You were a terrible fuck anyway. Besides, I know you always wished it was your boss fucking you, not me.

Woah, what the fuck? You mean, Jake? He's not my boss, we're working together. And when have I ever given you THAT impression. You're being a dick.

You always talk about him like he's this perfect, flawless person. Well, I call bullshit. Everyone is an arsehole eventually.

You're proving that right now, arsehole.