59 - Molly

Three months later

"Harry said you might be here,"

I spun around at the sound of Fred's voice. I was perched on the edge of Draco's abandoned four poster, staring out of the window across the Manor's grounds, lost in thoughts of him.

Fred, smiled a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes as he came and sat next to me.

"Rosie, do you really think coming here is going to bring him back?" He said gently, looking out at the view with me.

I shrugged my shoulders, fiddling with the ring in my lap. The truth was I couldn't give up on him. This was the only place I felt connected to him. So I kept coming back, day after day. I knew it wasn't healthy, but I didn't care. The pain of losing Draco was nothing like I'd ever felt before. It was different from the time we were separated for a year after the night Snape killed Dumbledore. Yes, my heart broke then, but I had had a mission to help with. A purpose.

Now I had nothing. I just had time. And each passing day only got harder, my heart growing heavier and heavier.

Fred let out a long breath and looked around.

"Bit gloomy, isn't it? I think even I'd be depressed living here."

"Where do you think he's gone?" I asked quietly, not taking my eyes away from the window.

"Rosie," Fred said, gently touching my hand. "I know you don't want to hear this but Draco did bad things. He tortured people, possibly killed them. OK - he may have felt he didn't have a choice," he added quickly at the sharp look I gave him, "but in the end he still did them."

A stray tear fell onto my lap. Fred brought his arm around me, hugging me to him.

"He hated himself for it," I sobbed. "He had a good heart, he really did. He loved me."

"Oh, Rosie. I want to understand, I really do. But he's gone. Rosie you need to start moving on with your life. This-" he gestured at the room around him, "this is not good for you. Come back with me, Rosie. Look - mum's having a bit of a gathering this afternoon, everyone would love to see you. Please come back with me."

I wiped my eyes and smiled at Fred. It was hard to say no to him, and I suddenly realised that I really craved company. "OK,"

Relieved, Fred took my hand and led me out of the Manor and into the overgrown grounds. The summer sun was beating down on us and it felt nice to feel the warmth on my face. I looked back at the Manor before we Disapparated, knowing that I would be back again tomorrow. I couldn't give up on Draco. I knew in my heart he would come back to me one day. I had to believe this.

My hand went to my stomach.

Especially as I had something precious of his.

***

As soon as we stepped into the Burrow, I was enveloped in a giant hug.

"Rosie!" Molly's voice was like chicken soup for the soul. "I knew Fred would be the one to get you here - I've been so worried, my dear!"

I squeezed my eyes tight shut, sensing that dangerous prickling behind my eyes. I was so bloody emotional. All I ever did these days was cry and I was sick of it. But Molly's kindness was too much, and instead of saying 'Hello' I ended up blubbering like a child on her shoulder.

"Oh, there, there my dear!" Molly said, holding me closer and rubbing my back soothingly. "Let it out, let it all out now."

Fred, who had been standing awkwardly behind us, waiting to pass through the door, coughed.

"Come on, come on through, Rosie dear," Molly said, guiding me over to the kitchen table whilst glaring at Fred. "Let's get you a tissue and a nice hot cup of tea."

She pulled out a chair with her wand and flew a box of tissues over, whilst gesturing me to sit down.

"I'm s-sorry," I sobbed, wiping my eyes with a tissue.

"Nonsense! Nonsense my dear!" Molly flapped as she bustled around the kitchen, making the tea. "You cry away, it'll do you good - trust me."

Placing a cup of tea in front of me, she sat down opposite and took my hand in hers across the table.

"You've been through the mill lately, my dear, it's no wonder you are feeling so emotional," she said gently. "You need to talk about things, and I hear you've been shutting yourself away in that awful place."

I looked down, ashamed and slightly embarrassed.

"Rosie, please come and stay here with us. You need to be around people who love you. I can look after you, and lord knows you look as though you need it."

I knew she must have been referring to my gaunt and pale figure. I hadn't been eating, not properly. I knew I should look after myself better, if not for me but for the life growing inside of me. I just couldn't face it.

Suddenly feeling conscious about it, I shifted my top across my belly, hoping that it wasn't obvious yet. I knew I couldn't keep it a secret forever, but I just couldn't bring myself to tell anyone.

"Thank you, Molly, that's very kind. I-I think I would like that very much."

Footsteps barging down the stairs interrupted us.

"Hey, Rosie! Fred said you were here," George beamed down at me. "Woah, and about time too - you need fattening up!"

"George! Don't be so rude!" Ginny cried as she came skipping in and came straight over to give me a kiss on the cheek. "Good to see you, Rosie."

We spent the afternoon in the garden of the Burrow, soaking in the sunshine. Molly prepared lots of food and we were joined by Harry, Ron and Hermione. For hours everyone just chatted, reminiscing about the years gone by. I curled up on a lounger and listened to them contentedly. Just to be in the company of familiar people was enough for me.

For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had come home.

***