6 - Fourteen

"His rat turned out to be the servant of this evil-lord-wizard man?!"

Summer again. I was once again sat down at the kitchen table relaying our third year adventures to my bewildered parents.

"Yes, and all along we thought it was Harry's godfather who was trying to kill Harry after escaping wizard prison for murdering thirteen people!"

My parents mouths were agape as they stared back, horrified.

"...and... Professor Dumbledore...?" My father asked meekly, knowing the answer already.

"Oh he was chill, he allowed Harry to do some illegal time turning stuff to sort out this one."

It really was an adventurous year. The highlight being Buckbeak. I had a lot of respect for the hippogriff after it injured Draco Malfoy. And to top it off, Hermione gave him a long deserved slap later on in the year.

Although I had paid for enjoying that one.

We had been walking back from Care of Magical Creatures after comforting a distraught Hagrid after finding out Buckbeak was to be executed. Draco and his faithful cronies, Crabbe and Goyle had been their usual unpleasant selves.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" Just hearing Draco comment about Hagrid like this made my blood boil and all four of us lunged towards him at the same time but Hermione had gotten there first.

I couldn't help but grin in satisfaction at the sound her hand had made against his cheek and the look of horror on his face as he staggered backwards. Before he disappeared into the passageway into the dungeons, his cold grey eyes had met mine and my grin froze on my face at the anger in them.

That night, I was locked out of my dormitory and I knew that it was Pansy Parkinson's doing and I also knew it was payback for what had happened to Draco. The smirk she gave me the next morning as she strolled into the common room, her arm wrapped possessively around Draco's waist told me that. He didn't even glance at me as they passed the sofa, where I lay shivering and crumpled in my robes.

***

There was much excitement this summer due to the Quidditch World Cup and I was to join the Weasley's along with Harry and Hermione to camp out at the stadium.

The game was very exciting and although I didn't care who won I found myself cheering crazily whenever points were scored. There was also a lot of excitement over a player - the Bulgarian Seeker - Viktor Krum of whom Ron purchased a small figure pre-match.

Somehow, later on that night in our tent, I managed to fall asleep through the sounds of cheering and celebrations of Ireland's win. But it seemed I had only just closed my eyes when I was being awoken again.

"Rosie! Rosie wake up!"

I blinked my eyes into focus to see Fred or George urgently tugging at my arm.

"Huh?!" I murmured blearily trying to get my brain into focus next.

I was suddenly aware of shouting - not happy celebratory shouts but fearful ones, screams.

"What's happening?" I asked shakily, my eyes widening in fear.

"They've set fire to the campsite, we need to hurry. George is grabbing Ginny. Come on Rosie!" Fred tossed me my jumper which I hurriedly pulled on over my vest and shorts and I shakily pulled my trainers on.

Fred pulled me by the arm as he led us out of the tent and I was horrified by what I saw. People were running away into the woods, fleeing something that was moving across the field towards us, lights were flashing and I could hear the sounds of bangs, jeers and yells amongst the screaming.

It took me a moment to realise that four figures were floating along in mid-air being spun upside down and around. Two of them looked like small children. I thought I was going to vomit as I realised they were being controlled by a tightly packed group of hooded masked wizards - and it was these wizards who were roaring with laughter and jeering up at the frightened suspended figures.

"We've got to help them!" I cried as Fred kept trying to tug my arm to make me run faster.

"No Rosie! We've got to hide - they're Death Eaters!" There was a loud bang just as he said this and I saw the look of pure fear on Fred's face as it was illuminated up by one of the masked wizards blasting a nearby tent into a ball of flames.

I stumbled after him, my heart in my throat as I tried to shut out the noise of people screaming and children crying.

We reached the woods and carried on running through the trees, trying to catch a glimpse of someone we knew. But it was so dark as we got into the thick of it so we stopped, panting out of breath as we lit our wands.

"That is so sick!" I cried through breaths trying hard not to vomit.

"I know, I know," soothed Fred, looking around on the spot with his wand raised. "I wonder if the others got to safety alright?"

"I wouldn't bet on it." I jumped as a drawling voice came from directly behind me.

I span around on my heel, pointing my wand to see Draco Malfoy leaning casually against a tree, looking utterly relaxed with his arms folded.

"You!" Spat Fred as he stepped up protectively beside me.

"I was just saying," Draco sneered, his eyes glinting maliciously, "that they're after muggles so that means you and your blood traitor family are goners." Draco then flicked his glittering eyes towards me, a nasty sneer playing on his lips. "I hope you like showing off your knickers in mid-air, Mudblood," he spat, "because if you do, hang around... they're moving this way, and it would give me a great laugh."

I had to hold Fred back as he made a sudden lunging movement toward Draco.

"Don't Fred, he's not worth it." I said as Draco roared with laughter. I glared up at him, feeling the anger bubble in my veins and I couldn't hold back.

"Fuck off Malfoy!" I spat venomously, my arms still restraining Fred. "We all know your mummy and daddy are out there behind those masks. I'm surprised you haven't joined them instead of hiding in here like the pathetic cowardly snake that you really are!"

Fred stopped struggling and straightened up at my words and Draco's eyes widened in shock and then amusement. "Woo hoo hoooo!" He sniggered mockingly. "So the Mudblood speaks!" He stepped towards me until he was only inches away and leant down so he was looking me in the eyes and I could feel his hot breath on my face. "You'd better get some soap to wash that mouth out if I were you, Carter, and then you can use it to wash out your disgusting filthy muggle blood."

The next thing I knew, Draco was sprawled on the floor clutching his face.

Fred had punched him.

***