Chapter 3

"So you're guy whose name is first on the honor's list..." I said under my breath with a mixture of confusion and curiosity. This was Hiromi? This short, clumsy looking kid was the guy who took my first place spot? No way, there had to be a mistake. It just couldn't be possible.  

"Hm? What do you mean?" He started a little quietly. Hiromi looked down for a moment, thinking I suppose but quickly looked back up to me with a bright smile. "Oh really? I made the top spot? This unbelievable, I didn't even try that hard!" He announced ever so happily. He didn't try that hard? Excuse me? He doesn't even care, but somehow makes the first on the list? See... obvious mistake. "Truth be told, I thought I would fail."  

"You don't say kid..." I was trying not to snap at him, but this was really getting annoying.  

"I told you I'm not a kid..." He was puffing out his cheeks again, and he had his arms crossed. If he wasn't a kid, he sure looked like one. "I'm a sophomore, and I'm fifteen years old." I popped my eyes. What? This tiny little guy was a year older than me? That wasn't possible either. I didn't know what this guy's problem was, but I didn't want to be involved with it.  

"Look, I've got to go anyway." I started before looking around that small section of the library once again. Nope, still didn't see anyone at all. It was so weird, the entire library was quiet and we seemed to be the only people there. I didn't get it. "Hey... Hiromi, was it?" I asked, turning back toward Hiromi as he started to pick up all the books that had just dropped.  

"Yeah..."  

"Doesn't something feel... weird to you?" I was looking around again.  

"Weird how?"  

"Well... it's so quiet in here. There's nobody around, at all. It's like you can't even hear the noise from the hallways anymore." I bent down too, and starting picking up the books as well. I wasn't that rude, so of course I'd want to help him. Hiromi stopped for a moment, putting the books he was holding back onto the ground. He stood up and took a look around himself. It looked like he shivered a bit.  

"Yeah... that is sort of weird. There are afterschool activities in the school right?" He looked to me again. I was still on the ground picking up the books. I stood up too, placing them back on the shelf in the right order. I nodded to him afterward, causing him to frown. "Okay, maybe it is a bit weird. I just never realized it... I'm normally here every day after school by myself so..."  

"Really? You're here... everyday... by yourself?" I started. "Why?" Hiromi sighed playfully and plopped himself down next to the bookcase. He picked up the one book he was looking for and flipped through the pages without much aim. After a moment, he shrugged and just looked up at me with a straight face.  

"The pains of a lonely bookworm, huh?" He giggled a bit before sighing again. "Well truth is... my family just moved here from Japan and... I don't think I speak English to well. So it's a mixture being afraid to talk to people and not wanting too I guess..." There was a hint of sadness in his voice, just a little. I sighed and sat down next to him, just watching for a moment as he flipped through page after page. Not reading anything, no real aim either.  

I sighed again and laughed. He looked up pretty quickly, looking at me with confusion. "Well..." I started. "You're talking to me." He popped his eyes, blushing a bit and rushing to cover his mouth. This only made me laugh again.  

"I... I guess so..." He looked down once again, with his face still obvious flushed. I held out a hand to him, he only looked at me though.  

"I didn't really give you a proper introduction. So, hi! I'm Alex!" He was a bit hesitant at first, but after a moment finally shook my hand.  

"And, I'm Hiromi! It's nice to meet you!"