"Sir, are you okay?", she quietly asked, entering his cabin and Dr. Malik nodded, trying to smile at the woman. Since their first encounter, he had known she would be a huge name in the feild, she had that kind of talent and capabilities.

"Oh yes, yes. I am fine, just worried for Manik. He should have been here by now", Dr. Malik sighed, sitting down in his chair while Nandini contemplated if she should say something or not, was she allowed? The watch told it was seven thirty.

"Is Dr. Manik always running late?", she asked very softly, not wanting to sound rude or disrespectful, and maintained a smiling face to sound like a minor tease. Dr. Malik heard her, but chuckled lightly, shaking his head.

"It's just your first day here Nandini. Don't judge someone by spending less then twenty four hours with someone", he chuckled again and Nandini was mortified.

She didn't mean to pass a judgement, or maybe she was already judging him, for things and events she wasn't even clear about.

Dr. Malik had forty years of experience in the field, he knew to read someone just by their eyes and body language. And when it was about the prying eyes that judged Manik, he was always defensive, more than he liked, but he couldn't help it. Manik was more of his son than just another doctor working for him.

If it would have been anyone else, he would probably had rebuked the person by now, or dismissed him/her completely, but he found himself willing to give an explanation to Nandini. His Reason being simple, Nandini had the similar zeal and sparkle he had seen in Manik, years ago.

"Dr. Manik is the most punctual one, in the entire department Nandini. He spends most of his time in this very building, staying back after rounds even. He finds his  happiness being here", Dr. Malik stated, with cautious eyes as he looked at Nandini, who was visibly embarrassed.

"I didn't mean to-", she was cut off by the old man who shook his head, as he looked at his watch again.

"Manik had gone to attend the execution of a prisoner who was admitted here last week, for a mental health certificate. He is said to have killed seven innocent people, including two children. The court wanted to see if he was mentally ill. Manik treated him, got to know him, but he wasn't ill to treat that way. Today was his execution, he had been sentenced to death. Now as weird or inhuman it sounds, Manik didn't want a killer to feel alone on the day he dies, so he went to attend the execution", Nandini was speechless by the time Dr. Malik finished. Her cheeks were flustered owing to all the judgement she had made for Manik which probably the old man had guessed.

"I know all of you are wary of him, but please, cut him some slack", Dr. Malik commented and immediately Nandini's eyes jerked up to meet his. She didn't know what else to say so she lowered her eyes and slightly nodded, gulping down the lump in her throat.

Dr. Malik by then had drank a little water and was back to his calmer version. He knew he crossed lines, essentially and especially if it was about Manik, but like said earlier, he couldn't help it.

Before both of them could clear the awkward air, Shweta came running in to inform them about Dr. Manik being in the ward. Nandini's wide eyes met Dr. Malik's once, before she ran up for the rounds and Dr. Malik followed suit.

Now, Manik had completely forgotten about this chapter in his life that was called Nandini Murthy, so finding her beside him, panting slightly, was more of a shock. It was almost eight, none of the SRs stayed up that late in the ward, even for rounds. But too exhausted to comment, he let it pass, and started with the rounds, the third year presenting the cases as he listened attentively and gave his inputs, if any, as required.

It was when he actually changed one of the medicine in a patient chart that Nandini noticed that his hands were still kind of shaking, and she immediately darted her eyes up to have a look at his face, while he purposefully ignored her gaze, concentrating too hard to focus on the charting.

Once done, he nodded at the residents and asked them to call him up in case of any emergency and then finally his eyes fell on Nandini who was already looking at him. Under her scrutinising gaze, he felt utterly vulnerable. His guards immediately went on, he could not let anyone in, ever again.

"Good work Dr. Murthy. The initial treatment charts are really nicely done. Keep up the good work", he dutifully smiled, like he was supposed to and Nandini nodded, accepting the complement like a student is supposed to. The others dispersed around them, scattering to do their individual assigned works.

Manik immediately averted his eyes, not wanting to be in her presence more and Nandini understood his reluctance, but could not even gauge the reason. He was oddly uneasy, had been sweating mildly and when seen up close she could easily see how hard he was trying to keep his composure.

It was when he turned and his eyes met Dr. Malik that Nandini noticed it. The way he immediately clenched his fists, his nails digging his skin to keep the seething anxiety he felt at bay, or so she assumed, left her worried too. But Before she could even prode further, the two men walked out, leaving behind a woman in a greater dilemma.

Was he actually not guilty?

Sighing heavily, she walked to the duty doctor's room to pick up her bag when she saw Shweta instructing the ward maid to make some nice tea and serve two cups to HOD's office first. When she saw Nandini staring at her with a confused face, she offered an explanation.

"Manik sir usually stays in late, until ten or so before leaving for the day. And if Dr. Malik has come over definitely something is wrong with Manik sir and Dr. Malik will probably stay for sometime too".

It was simple, in Shweta's eyes. She wasn't a girl to read too much into the lines and the sense of deep respect she had for Manik, it made her stay put even if she had a chance to bitch and gossip.

Nandini wished even she could sort her life that easily, in white and black, but she knew that wasn't her. And when she walked out and had a glimpse of Manik sitting on the table with his head resting on the mesh of his hands while Dr. Malik softly patted his back, his eyes grim, she knew she would never be able to, either.