Chapter 4

After some encouraging words and Tanjiro insisting that he would be okay, Zenitsu had finally agreed to go back into the mansion, on the condition that Shoichi came along. Of course Zenitsu had no doubt that Tanjiro could protect him if it came down to it, especially after that display earlier, but he'd still feel better if Shoichi went with them.

Unfortunately to Zenitsu's luck, Shoichi didn't agree with it. Leaving Zenitsu a sniveling mess behind Tanjiro as they walked through the mansion, lead by that fancy nose of his. He clutched the back of Tanjiro's checkered haori as they walked down a corridor.

Shoichi, Teruko, and Kiyoshi stayed outside to help by digging graves for the victims that remained in the house. They had buried the Beta from earlier that fell from the second story and they were patting dirt on the grave.

Tanjiro had told them beforehand that they didn't have to force themselves to help out if they were tired and to rest whenever they needed. He especially told Kiyoshi not to push himself but the boy insisted on helping out as much as he could.

Zenitsu glanced around his surroundings when they entered a room. It was lit by lamps on the ceiling and to the right there seemed to be an open doorway to a kitchen. The grip on the fabric in his hands tightened when the smell of copper hit him.

When he looked over Tanjiro's shoulder he spotted two people on the ground, blood covering everything around the bodies. Zenitsu guessed they must have been there for a few hours at best, for it to smell this way. Tanjiro walked over.

He followed holding the haori in his hand. Zenitsu couldn't see Tanjiro's face but he sounded sad, guilty, and upset. Zenitsu let go once they were next to the two bodies.

"Zenitsu do you think you can pick up the other person while I carry him?" Tanjiro asked as he kneeled down next to them. Zenitsu nodded and went around the Alpha to the other corpse. He wrapped an arm under her legs and back, gently picking her up.

When they both left the room behind Tanjiro spoke to him again. "I know you were scared Zenitsu, but thank you for coming"

Zenitsu looked over and nodded his head. He felt bad for how he acted earlier, he just got terrified at the thought of going back into that house of horrors. Feeling somber, Zenitsu's head hung low. Tanjiro didn't need that.

Zenitsu grabbed a large rock and walked over to where Tanjiro and the kids were. He sighed as he carried the heavy thing. They had buried the two people and were helping out the kids, Kiyoshi had gotten a bit tired so they compensated for it by having Zenitsu, Shoichi and Teruko get the rocks this time around.

All of a sudden a loud yell rang out that made Zenitsu jump out of his skin with a yelp. When he turned around he saw Inosuke yelling and then broke into a run after him.

"AHHH! HE'S AWAKE!" Zenitsu immediately dropped the rock and ran.

DOES HE ALWAYS WAKE UP ANGRY? I HATE THAT MORE THAN ANYTHING!

"FIGHT ME! FIGHT ME! HEY YOU-"

Zenitsu ran behind Tanjiro, gripping the Demon Slayer Corps Uniform. Tanjiro winced at the action as his body was turned to shield Zenitsu.

When Tanjiro looked up to see a confused Inosuke looking at the graves and back to them, Inosuke pointed at them accusingly.

"What the hell are you guys doing?!" He questioned them.

"It's a burial" Tanjiro answered.

"Hah?"

"You help out too Inosuke" Tanjiro pointed to the current deserted house. "There are still people who were killed inside the house"