Seaside Shenanigans

Start from the beginning

"You are amazing, Hiccup," she told him honestly. "I wouldn't cope with losing a limb or being limited in any way. I would just...mope and fall apart. But you are so brave, so strong, so...balanced. I'm really proud of you." He felt himself smiling back, seeing her there with him and he took her hand.

"Why, thank you, Milady. I..."

"Didn't fancy swimming?" Snotlout interrupted, coming up and standing by Astrid. "It takes a real man to swim in the sea. Guess we know which one of us that is!"

His good mood shattered again and he glared up at his cousin.

"Nope, we just know which one of us is thoughtless enough to forget one person has a physical limitation so he cannot actually get into the sea...asshole," Hiccup snapped back.

"You tell yourself that," Snotlout taunted him and returned to his lounger to dry off in the sun. Astrid settled by him on her own lounger, lying on her front and carefully creaming herself to ensure she didn't burn.

"Don't let him get to you," she advised. "You know he's just trying to get a rise from you." He nodded and sat back, pulling his hat over his face.

"I know," he sighed. "But he just knows exactly how to get under my skin."

Hiccup ordered more drinks and somehow, found himself paying for an order that included everyone. Grabbing their drinks without even a 'thank you', he stared at them for a long time before sipping his sparkling water and sighing. The time on the beach was reminding him of all the reasons why he wasn't upset that he didn't have contact with most of these people regularly. A couple maybe but the rest...well, they were all happy to chat to Astrid, who was naturally more outgoing, but he was largely being ignored. He was brooding so much that he missed Astrid getting up and having a quick conversation with Fishlegs...but when Snotlout challenged them all to some more races in the sea, the husky man walked up to Hiccup.

"I know you like to be independent-but I can help you in so you can swim as well," Fishlegs offered. "I can help you into the water-and out-if you want?" There was nothing but genuine desire to help in Fishlegs's round and already red face and though Hiccup's pride was urging him to turn down the offer, he genuinely did want to go swimming because he loved spending time with Astrid. So he nodded and smiled up at his friend.

"Thanks," he said and removed his leg. Carefully, he rose onto his one leg and leaned against the bigger man, allowing himself to be half-dragged, half-hopping through the sticky wet sand, his foot sinking and the suction difficult to overcome. Finally, they reached the waves and Hiccup was grateful when they got to the point where the water reached mid-thigh, where he looked just like anyone else. And immediately, Astrid was at his side, laughing and joking.

"So you decided to join in after all!" she teased him, offering a small splash at him. He returned it playfully.

"Thanks for speaking to Fish," he guessed and her eyes widened, confirming who had organised it.

"It's not the same without you," she admitted, leaning forward and kissing him. Gently, he cupped her face and kissed her back, all his frustrations melting away. She smirked against his lips-and then she shoved him back into the water.

"Hey!" he spluttered, surfacing as she dived past him and accelerated away from shore.

"Catch me!" she called as he turned and chased.

They spent a long time in the water, laughing and racing and just floating in the buoyant warm waters. The others had joined them and Snotlout was egging the twins and Dagur on as they grew more and more competitive. Astrid and Hiccup raced as well with the one-legged man outstripping his cousin, because though he was missing half a leg, he swam frequently and was strong and lithe. It was obvious that Snotlout was pretty irritated every time Hiccup beat him and he began to become more snarky and mean towards his cousin. Astrid was getting caught up in the races, her ferociously competitive streak getting fired up as Snotlout taunted her that she wasn't strong enough or fast enough to beat him. So Hiccup hung back, knowing better than to get involved when Astrid got competitive. Especially if his cousin was involved. So he swum out a bit further and watched them racing fiercely.