Chapter 22

"Mark, Dad said to make some food. Or order something. But I wanna make something."

"I think that would be fun! Come on, Mark! Please? What shall we make?"

Mark shrugged his shoulders and looked in the fridge. "Mash. Chicken here. Gravy. Beans. Veggies. Sorted. Come on, let’s get going. Jenna, peel the po-"

"Hold it! No one is doing anything till we get this house cleaned. Jenna, go and clean the living room. Mark go and do the hallway and dining room. When you are done, come back and I will give you something else. Now go!" They both mumbled under their breaths. Jenna walked away with the broom and Mark smiled at her.

"Already giving orders."

"Go!" He slowly raised his hand and backed out the room. "Mark, does the radio work?"

"Yeah. Bit old but my dad uses it all the time. Want me to come and turn it on?"

"'Kay. Don't even think about coming here! Your smart girlfriend will figure it out! Clean!"

After she turned the radio on, she looked around the kitchen and sighed. She turned on the cooker and fill the pan with water.

"Okay, that's done..." she whispered to herself. She ran upstairs and returned with a bucket of black clothes.

Half an hour later, Natalia stood at the door and smiled. Spotless. Mark came down the stairs with a broom and Jenna followed with a carrier bag.

"Rooms done?"

"Yes! Can I rest now?!"

"No. Mark, go and clean your dad's room. Jenna, Aunt Paige. Then you guys are gonna do the bathroom and toilet. Luckily for you, you get one each."

"It's their room," Mark muttered. Jenna already picked up the broom.

"And how many times have they cleaned up your room? Go!" Mark stormed up the stairs and Natalia began to cook. An hour later, Natalia heard the front door open.

"Hey, Nats! Did Mark leave you to cook by yourself?" Paige said as she gave her a hug. "Mark! Jenna! We're home!" Paige went to put her jacket away and gasped. "The house is finally clean! Oh my God! Did you make them do that?!"

"Yeah! And the bedroom. Your bedrooms. Toilets. Cupboards. Washing! Even made me hang up the clothes and sort out the socks!" Mark yelled as he came down the stairs. "Sometimes I feel like putting her in a dustbin and chucking her away. She will fit there."

"At least you will be chucking the rubbish." Natalia quickly chucked the tea towel over her shoulder and poured out the water for the boiled potatoes.

"But then I will miss you too much." Mark said before kissing the back of her head.

"Babe, I need you to do one more thing. Can you just wash that pan? I'm gonna set the table."

"I will do that," Marcus offered.

"No. You guys go and get changed. Get comfortable."

"I'll do it. Water is hot if you guys wanna have a shower," Jenna said as she washed her hand. Natalia wiped her hand on the towel over her shoulder and leaned down to check on the chicken.

"Aunt Paige," Natalia started, "The white clothes are still in the bucket upstairs. I thought the bed sheets would be more important so I put them in first. I managed to do two loads of black and the sheets. They are drying around the house because it was raining a bit. Come on! Get changed! You only have around twenty minutes before the chicken is done and everything is set up on the plates."