Chapter 3: XII - IX

It's Al— except it couldn't have been Al.

The bloodshot eyes that float before me are the same eyes that I saw back at the previous apartment. It has taken the silhouette of Al, staring at me, as if it's looking straight into my soul. I take a step back to retreat myself, thinking it might jump at me at any moment. Just as I'm about to take a step outside the door, Nico pats my shoulder, scaring the living soul out of me. I look to his direction, where he stands a few inches behind me, agitation written all over my face.

"What's up with you?" Nico asks.

"I-I, uh..." I mumble, taking a second glimpse in front of me. The bloodshot eyeballs floating in the darkness are now nowhere to be found, but what now stands before me is a familiar physique, walking up towards my direction.

"H-Huh?" I gasp.

"What? You look like you've seen a ghost just now," Al says.

"Uh, yeah... sort of," I reply. I finally walk through the front door, Nico following behind.

"Why did you turn off the lights, Al? It's already evening and you're making things pitch-black here," Nico says.

"Yeah, about that— Jun and I immediately fell asleep as soon as we got here. Don't be so salty now," Al replies, his left hand feeling around the wall for the light switch. Nico closes and locks the door behind him, and we welcome ourselves in the living room, where Jun sleeps heavily in one of the sofas.

"Jun..." I say, sighing in relief. I replenish myself with water, and I walk up to her and sit beside her. It's my turn to be her lap pillow. I gently caress her head towards my lap, and she nudges a little to ease her position, and I see her smile faintly. "Rest easy, Juniper," I whisper. The glint of her silver necklace catches my glimpse. Worn around her slender neck, it hangs at the welt of the sofa; the red, vibrant gleam of the gem attached to its pendant that's shaped into a flower— quite similar to Nico's brooch and my ring, attracting my gaze.

"Let's get some rest," Nico says, as he and Al sit together at the sofa across ours. Lights turned off, I place my fogged eyeglasses on the coffee table between us, and I look up to the ceiling as I slump my back against the backrest of the sofa, dismissing an audible sigh.

"Don't worry, we're okay," Al says in response to my deep sigh.

"I hope that's true. I mean, I've caused too much trouble to the three of you already. So..."

"You don't hear us complaining though. You should remember that we're all on board on this," Nico replies.

"Right..." I whisper.

Sooner or later, Al and Nico drift to sleep, while I lie awake. I gently stroke Jun's hair as I look at the window. The moon had just risen— a waxing gibbous. Faint moonlight pervades the somber room, and I feel an urge to walk towards the window just to gaze upon the lovely moon.

Waxing gibbous. It seems like something significant is about to unfold anytime soon.

I carefully stand up from the sofa, hoping that I won't wake Jun up. I gently lay her head on a pillow, and she groans and breathes out a shallow sigh. Her face emits an alluring glow as moonlight traces her face. I pick up my glasses from the coffee table and wipe it thoroughly with my shirt as I walk towards the window. My vision finally clears as I wear it— and the moon has never been so beautiful. I lean on the windowsill, gawking up the evening skies. The bright glow of the moon makes it difficult to spot any surrounding stars. I look down the street, and I see a car being parked by a man in front of this apartment. Looking closer through the windowpane, I notice the same man leaving the car without taking the keys with him. He seems to be in a hurry. I scoff at his carelessness, as I return my gaze towards the sky.