The Show Must Go On {2}

Start from the beginning

                “Naturally.” I went to my locker and put in my combination, tossing some notebooks into my locker and gathering what I needed. “He gets so angry. It’s fun to watch.”

                “Well, you know what they say about playing with fire,” Scott said.

                “I’m not an idiot, Scott,” I reminded, straightening up and shutting my locker.

                “Oh, trust me Alexander, you are the last person I’d refer to as an idiot,” Scott said. “Just don’t get in over your head. You piss off a lot of people. Some of them go down swinging.”

                “Let them swing,” I said, smirking.

                I looked over and noticed Donnie and his friends walking towards us. My smirk grew as they approached.

                “Hey Donnie,” I said. “Your lips are a little chapped.”

                His cheeks heated up and he glared at me. He wet his lips nervously.

                “Hey Alexander, your personality is a little shitty,” Neo said.

                Donnie snickered. “A little shitty?”

                “Well if I said a lot shitty, it wouldn’t sound as clever,” Neo said, elbowing Donnie in the side. Neo glanced at me. “Well, go on. Tell me I’m trash or pathetic or whatever it is you say.”

                “Annoying is the word I was thinking,” I said, hooking my thumbs in my pockets. “But trash and pathetic work too.”

                Neo took a little bow. “I try, I try.”

                “Like I said, not worth your time,” Bennett said to me.

                “Bennett! Nice to see you again,” Neo said.

                “Don’t talk to me,” Bennett said, raising an eyebrow.

                “Wouldn’t waste my breath,” Neo said. “Let’s get out of here already, it smells like Hollister over here. Apparently no one informed the rich boys that Hollister went out of style in the 7th grade.”

                “It’s Abercrombie and Fitch,” Scott said, sniffing his shirt.

                “I think he just said something about being a bitch,” Clifton said.

                “Wow, original insult,” Scott said. “Leave me and my 8th grade cologne alone.”

                “Well, at least that guy accepts it. Let’s go,” Neo said, grabbing Donnie’s hand and dragging him away.

                “See you tomorrow Donnie,” I said, smirking as I watched him walk away. He glanced back at me before following Neo and Clifton around the corner and out of sight.

                “Why are you going after Donnie again?” Bennett asked me.

                “Just for his reactions,” I assured. “Although his black eyed friend is pissing me off.”

                “Well, don’t worry about it. When you get bored of Donnie, Neo will go away too,” Scott said, slapping me on the shoulder. “Let’s go home already.”

                The three of us went down to the parking lot. I waved to my friends and climbed into my car, blasting music as I pulled out of the parking lot and drove away.

                I pulled into my driveway and got out of my car, heading into my house. I kicked off my shoes and went into the kitchen and pulled open the fridge, looking at the food in there and grabbing an apple.

                I went upstairs and into my bedroom, where my cat was waiting for me on my bed. He watched my lazily as I came over, tossing my bag onto my bed.

                “Vesper,” I said, sitting down and dipping my shoulder. Vesper got up and pawed at my shoulder curiously before climbing up onto my shoulders, curling himself comfortably, his claws digging into my shirt to keep himself steady.

                My dog, Link, padded his way into the room. He curled up on the rug next to my bed and watched me, his tail wagging lightly.

                I pulled Vesper off of my shoulders and laid down, biting into my apple. Vesper curled up on my crotch, nuzzling his head against my stomach. I reached down and stroked his fur absentmindedly.

                I turned my head, looking at Link. “Neo,” I mumbled. “That’d be a good pet name.” I snickered. “A good name for a bitch. Right, Link?”

                Link barked, his tail wagging more. I took another bite of my apple, letting my gaze wander up to the blank ceiling.

                When I was done with my apple, I rolled over and grabbed my bag, falling into my usual routine of doing my homework, making myself dinner, and killing time until it got late. I either had incredibly boring nights, or fun nights with my friends. Tonight was definitely a boring night.

                I stripped down to my boxers and laid down, looking at the clock. It read out 2.13 a.m., and I groaned, knowing I wouldn’t want to wake up in the morning for school.

                I opened the drawer of my nightstand and pulled out my sleeping pills, taking them and laying down. Vesper jumped up onto my bed and curled himself up on my stomach.

                Link jumped up onto my bed, lying down next to me. I reached out, petting his soft fur.

                “Neo would be a good name for a bitch,” I mumbled, closing my eyes sleepily as my pills took effect. A small smirk came to my face. “Neo would be a very good name for a little bitch.”