chapter three: wrong words

Kaycee's POV

"That's really good to hear, kaycee. However – it sounds like there was something else that happened. I don't believe you're telling me the whole story."

I sighed and shifted my gaze down to the red carpet that I knew so well. I'd been having weekly therapy appointments for pretty much all of my life. There were times when things were good and I could go once every two weeks, but even at that my mom liked to keep me in therapy regardless. Her motto was it never hurt to have someone to talk to.

I really liked Dr. Grey. She was an older lady, probably in her late fifties and she'd been seeing me ever since she'd opened her own practice in LA about ten years ago. She'd pretty much become a staple person in my life. She had three kids and when she was younger she'd been surgeon which i always thought was pretty cool.

"I... um, I saw a message on his phone where his friends and him were calling me a spoiled brat," I mumbled, while biting at my thumb nails.

"And how did that make you feel?" she asked. I refrained from rolling my eyes. Wasn't it her job to tell me how i was supposed to feel.

"Well, I guess I first thought about how many other bad things all of his friends and him say about me – and then, I started thinking about how the reason people don't talk to me is that they think i'm stuck up or bratty." I traced small circles on the top of my black leggings and just listened to what she had to say in response.

Our session had ended early because I had to meet Sean in an hour and it was going to take some time to get over to the filming location. The entire drive from her office to filming, I thought about the last piece of advice she'd given me before we concluded.

"Whenever I get frustrated or annoyed with someone's actions, I remind myself that I don't really know what's going on in their life. I try to take a breath, not take it personally, and trust that they are doing the best they can."

Even if they were making assumptions about me and not even taking into fact that they have no idea what life can be like for me, I needed to make sure I wasn't sinking to their level.

Sean's POV

I'd been at the filming location all morning discussing ideas and angles and concepts with our videographer and just moving around the space. It was really no surprise to me that Kaycee was going to be late, of course. After she saw the message, I felt really bad because we'd hurt her feelings, but it didn't really change how I felt about her really. It was pretty obvious that since I upset her, she just didn't really care about trying to be easy to work with, she was just going to run on her own time.

I slumped back against the floor. There was really nothing I could do but wait. My friends had all asked me how things were going but I had yet to really tell them anything, even when I saw them at classes, I just dodged the topic to the best of my ability. I guess, although I wasn't Kaycee's number one fan, I learned that I needed to be careful with my words because so often we say the wrong words.

Wrong words.

It was almost like a light bulb popped above my head and shone as bright as it possibly could. I'd been struggling trying to name the project. I'd had this idea surrounding people who just can't seem to get it right, always telling each other what they think the other wants to hear or not saying anything at all, but I was going to call it, the things we say. However, Wrong Words clicked and it made me smile.

I heard voices talking faintly in the background and looked up to see the small brunette and her mother walking into the space. Her mom and her looked so much alike, it was crazy, I thought to myself. I hopped up to my feet to go and greet them.