Chapter 1: Journal

Harry Potter had vanquished Lord Voldemort only a few days ago. Harry is still at Hogwarts, doing what he can to help rebuild the destruction that was caused.

However, Harry found himself back in Dumbledore's office. It was untouched by the chaos and Dumbledore's possessions are still where Harry remembers them and the pensive and memory cabinet are exactly as Harry left them when he fulfilled Severus Snape's last wish.

The memory cabinet seems to be beckoning Harry to it. Due to curiosity, Harry gives in and peers in, looking at all the dated vials. What catches his eye is a small book in the back, lodged in between empty, shimmering vials. Pulling it out, Harry sees that it dates back to when Voldemort still attended Hogwarts; 1938. The book is small with a dark leather binding. The pages crisp and yellow with age. The covers are bound shut with a thin leather cord that wraps around the book several times before being tied into a small bow.

"Harry!" He turns to see Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley standing in the doorway. "There you are!"

"What's that?" Ron asks, gesturing at the book Harry still held.

"I don't know. It was back there, with the memories," Harry explains, pointing to the cabinet behind him.

"Harry, that could be dangerous. Remember the last time we encountered an old journal?" Hermione scolds intuitively.

"Yes, Hermione, I know. But it just seemed... intriguing. It's dated back to Voldemort's early years at Hogwarts."

"Are you mad?! Harry, that could be cursed!" Hermione reprimands as Ron exclaims at the same time, "I can't believe you were going to open that without us!"

"Ronald!" Hermione elbows him.

"Ow! Okay! Harry, put it back!"

Harry laughs internally at his two best friends. He turns the journal over. There is no name, and if there was, it was rubbed off.

"Maybe McGonagall would know about it," Harry suggests.

"Maybe. We could ask her," Ron agrees.

Hermione just shakes her head, knowing she would not be able to stop them.

The trio makes their way to the Great Hall, looking for their old transfiguration professor. They end up finding her fixing minor cracks and tumbled-down columns in a long passage way just off the Great Hall.

"Professor?" Harry asks, announcing their presence.
Minerva McGonagall turns to face them, noticing the leather bound book Harry is holding.

"Potter, where did you get that?" McGonagall gestures at the small object.

"Harry found it with the collections of memories in Dumbledore's office, professor. We were wondering if you know what it is," Hermione explains.

Harry hands the journal to McGonagall. She turns it over as she unties the leather cord. The yellowed pages open up to reveal rows of neat writing in black ink that fades in and out. Skimming the first few lines, McGonagall frowns then smiles.

"What is it, professor?" Hermione asks, peering at the worn down cover.

"This journal is from even before my time at Hogwarts." McGonagall passes the journal to Hermione. "It's about a Slytherin girl; one who's forgotten and yet also a legend."

"A legend?" Harry asks curiously, looking inquiringly at the small packet of papers Hermione now holds.

"How can someone be forgotten and a legend?" Ron steps closer to Hermione to get a better look at the mysterious object.

"I don't know. Only a few rumors about her are still around."

"Can we read it?" Hermione flips open to a random page, the words swimming on the page, making it hard - almost impossible - to read.

"I don't see why not, but it's known magic." McGonagall leads the trio back to Dumbledore's office. "Perhaps the pensive will allow you to see what the journal holds. I'll make sure that you're not disturbed and will come get you if you're in the memories for too long."

"Thank you, professor," Harry says as Hermione brings the book to the shimmering silver bowl.

Ron, Harry, and Hermione all stand around the pensive as McGonagall taps the book with her wand. A thin line, whispy and glowing softly, floats to the bowl, letting its secrets be unveiled.

And with that, Ron, Harry, and Hermione all are pulled into the untold tale of a Slytherin girl, now nearly forgotten to the world by all but one; one who was killed only two days earlier by Harry Potter.

-

(5.11.20, 729 words)