- come to life

The sound — a voice, a voice is rising from the ground.

I jump away from the spot, mortified by the shrill shrieking coming from below. Someone needs help — it sounds like they're getting murdered.

Could I just be hearing an echo coming from further into the forest? I test the theory by stepping away, but the screaming fades and only grows louder when I return to my original spot.

The ground becomes softer below where the sound comes from. I could almost bounce against the mossy ground.

I kneel down, rejecting every sense in my body telling me to run back to the house and safety.

When my ear reaches the edge of the moss, I hear the screams more clearly.

"GOD SEND AN ANGEL!!
SEND HER DOWN HERE!!
GIVE ME A CHANCE!
I JUST WANT A CHANCE!
A CHANCE OR TO DIE!!"

I jump back a bit. The man's voice sounds insane and jumbled. Why is he underground?! How did he get down there?!

"Hello?!!" I yell to the ground.

Silence erupts from below. He heard me.

"HELP!
HELP!!
HELP ME!
HELP ME!
HELP ME,
PLEASE!!"

I begin to dig frantically. He's down there, there is someone down there.

But as I dig through the moss, my nails scrape against a hard surface. Tearing away until I can see it, below the moss there's wood.

I find the edges, and finally realize where I am.

This is a well... there's a man in the well...

It couldn't be.

"Harry?!" I yell.

"HELLO?! HELP ME!"

Little Harry is real... Little Harry is alive and still in the well.