Chapter 17

You settled Mjolnir in your grip and it felt like an old friend had come home. You didn't wield it very often, but Mjolnir was extremely picky about who was allowed to wield it. It wasn't heavy, per se, but had a heft to it where you knew you were wielding something with force behind it.

You saw the expressions on the kidnappers change. Their disbelief and indignation at the thought that you would dare try to summon Mjolnir. Then their shock and absolute horror as the hammer flew to your grip.

Lightning sparked around the hammer.

"Oh shit!" one of the men said and wisely turned to run. You couldn't let him escape, though. You knew the guards would find and stop him, but you weren't taking that chance. You threw Mjolnir at his fleeing back and he was knocked on his face. You held your hand out and Mjolnir flew back to you.

"Thanks, meow-meow," you told the hammer. It was best to be polite to the semi-sentient hammer and the hammer liked the nickname from Darcy. It was best not to ask how you knew. You weren't sure yourself. You just knew it did.

You also didn't question that the hammer was semi-sentient and had feelings. It was easier not to question it.

The other two men rushed for you as you heard booted footsteps pounding their way toward you. The einherjar were on their way. You only had to hold out a few moments more.

You shifted your stance and swung the hammer with a well-practiced motion, hitting one of them under the chin and sending him flying into the wall. You whirled to attack the other as the footsteps drew closer.

"This is where Mjolnir flew off to," Thor commented as he made it into the hallway. Of course he'd come after his missing hammer. You weren't at all surprised. He carried his battle-axe Jarnbjorn in his hands. He didn't usually use his backup weapon, but since you had Mjolnir, he had to switch to a different weapon. Luckily, he was proficient with more than just the hammer.

Loki teleported in on the other side of the battle a moment. "Hello, darling. My most sincere apologies for being late," he greeted you.

You grinned at him and inwardly sighed in relief, glad that he had come so quickly. Of course he had. His first instinct was to come to his wife and unborn children when you set off the alarm. He would make sure you were safe first before his people. It was the sign of a good man as opposed to the sign of a good king.

But no one expected him to give up being a good man for the sake of being a good king.

Even Odin would have done the same thing.

"'Bout time you showed up," you teased him as the third kidnapper looked over the gathered group in horror. He was surrounded by a triangle of the princes and princess of the realm. This was not how this was supposed to go in his opinion.

Loki laughed. "You seemed to have the situation under control, dearest," he replied warmly. You were perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. Even when you were pregnant.

Thor let you continue to hold onto Mjolnir while he and Loki rushed in for the attack. The other two kidnappers had gotten up and tried to fight desperately to keep from being killed or worse, imprisoned. At least if they were killed, it would be over quickly. They could be imprisoned for eternity while Loki played with them for trying to hurt you.

That was a fate that was worse than death. Loki could be creative in his retaliation.

You fought using Mjolnir, swinging it expertly and it collided hard with bones and soft squishy parts of bodies. Thor and Loki were fighting as well, so the kidnappers were doomed.

The battle lasted longer than it should have and you started to get worried. You were straining yourself more than you should. You tried to step back, but you couldn't extricate yourself from the battle easily and you weren't giving up Mjolnir back to Thor. He had his axe, he'd be fine.

One of the attackers got in under your swing and his own weapon, a bullyclub of some variety, hit you square in the stomach.

You cried out in pain as you went to your knees, your hands over your stomach. Loki was there in an instant and decapitated the man with fury in his eyes and magic sparking around him. Thor finished off the other two once he summoned Mjolnir to him.

"Witchling? Love? Are you alright?" Loki asked as he knelt in front of you.

"I think," you tried to breathe through the pain as your fear built. You managed to get back to your feet. You felt a wetness between your legs. There was no way you'd wet yourself during the battle. You weren't a child and you hadn't been that afraid. "Loki. We need to see your mother. Now," you said as you hoped against hope as to what was going on.

Dread filled you as you looked down and saw the pool of blood at your feet.

The twins.

The twins were in trouble.