Next Gen

Oz paced back and forth, He was pacing in front of the pod doors whilst the rest of the team sat on the sandy surface in front of him as if they were in school waiting for the teacher to give todays lesson. Hannah sat very close to Clock, still feeling as if it was her duty to comfort him.

"God fuckin' damn it, Oz, speak!" James shouted, startling the rest of the group

"S... Sorry" Oz mumbled

"Who is he Oz? Who is One?" Asked Lila softly to her friend

"Umm. I may have umm, miss spoke..."

"Jesus..." Clock sighed

Oz tapped in a few details into his Tech-Man, taking it off and placing it at a small incline on the ground. He pulled a small piece from its body and sat down next to the others. A large beam of light began emanating from it, projecting images on the side of the pod they arrived in.

"Whilst we travelled here, the Tech-Man was able to extract all of the information stored on its own memory banks and some more off the network inside of that god forsaken base we were in before it completely collapsed. It did not complete but it did manage to capture some incredible information" Oz explained as he clicked the button in his hand, moving to the next bit of information

"Continue..." James said

"The base we were held out is one of 5 they have in the United Kingdom. This one from what I can tell was used specifically for information extraction by any means necessary. They take the information they find from individuals they feel they cannot control and then pass it to a false inventor who is willing to take the credit for the price of their obedience."

"That is atrocious" Mumbled Rutherford

"Indeed, it didn't manage to capture how or why they do this or when it started but the most promising and quite frankly worrying discovery was in the incomplete personnel files..."

"One..." James said

"His file is almost empty or redacted, except for a few small fields. He was initiated into the organisation 12 years ago, but he was a ghost before then, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. All other personnel files have at the very least a short history on the person, but not on One. He was also sent out on what they call a "Black level case" in his first week, something most other members do not do for many years. It seems One was already a ready-made agent on the first day of work, that didn't make sense to me at first..."

"What do you mean?" Asked Clock impatiently

"On his first day, he was put through a thorough physical examination, just like anyone else. Luckily for us, his X-ray was left intact" Oz said, as he clicked to the next image

The group fell silent and wide eyed as their mouths gaped at the image now on the screen.

"As you can see. Uhh... They look like..." Oz continued

"Oh my god..." Gasped Hannah

"They look like..." Oz tried to say

James brought himself to his feet and walked over closer to the image, looking intently at the screen.

"Mine. They look like mine..." Clock said with a scowl "How is this possible?"

"Clock, have you heard of Kylax?" Oz said

"Yeah, they were the biggest tech company in our time, why?"

"They are also the company responsible for creating your implants. They have a certain marker, a branding. That same branding is on all of the tech inside of One."

"This is impossible!" Hannah shouted

"Unfortunately, this isn't the biggest revelation to come from finding this information" Oz said hesitantly

Clock turned to look at him with a cold stare.

"What?"

"Each one of these implants are marked with an inventory number. I cross referenced these numbers with the database inside of the Tech-Man. It could not find them. Luckily, Kylax uses a very linear number-based system. By extrapolating those numbers and cross referencing them with the release times of technology in our time I came to the conclusion that... Uhh..."

"That what?"

"That the technology inside of One is at least 7 generations newer than yours..."

"What are you saying, Oz?" Asked Hannah

"... I'm saying that, without having the exact time frames. The technology inside of One, meaning One himself is from at least 23 years further than our future"

Clock, taking one last look at the X-ray in front of him, looked down at the wound in his chest and placed his hand over it.

"Shit..."