II - Preparations

Start from the beginning

"You're reported missing," the Master tossed in and stepped closer, not looking directly at her.

The Doctor nodded firmly. "Yeah... I happened to stumble over your father and..."

"What?!" Roka let out shocked. "No! You weren't supposed to remind him! Why did you..."

He held up his hands in front of him, trying to allay her. "It was an accident of some sort. I swear!"

"As if..."

"Nooooo! I mean... I had to ask!" the Doctor whined.

"Ask what?"

"If anyone here remembers you," the Master grumbled, still avoiding her gaze. "When he asked your Dad for his daughter, he only said, they don't have one."

"Then I hacked into the local police's files and found out there is a missing child report for you. When you were ten or so."

Roka sighed and rubbed her eyelids. "Yeah, makes sense. At that age the glitch got noticeably worse. Did he... remember after you asked?" She tried not to let the Doctor see how much the thought hurt her.

He shook his head. "No. I don' think so. Maybe... but he didn't say anything. Perhaps he doesn't want to remember..."

She sighed tiredly. "I hope he can't."

The last school day went by surprisingly  fast

The last school day went by surprisingly fast. At least until the very last lecture, where the Master once again strolled in, a wide grin plastered onto his face. He really seemed to enjoy this little play. Today he even wore his reading glasses and did his best to seem very important. To everyone's demise he didn't even mention the book he had let everyone get. Instead he rambled on about some other classic literature. Preferably Poe.

And Roka got remembered that he actually was very well-read. Perhaps the only thing he enjoyed about earth, as he had admitted to her once, was human literature. So it was no wonder that the lecture ended with a slightly heated discussion between the two.

Eventually he propped both hands onto her desk, leaning forward with a mean grin. "Are we a bit sassy again, little Miss?"

"Oh, to you anytime," she threw back, an equally mean glint in her eyes.

It was her last day here, so she couldn't be bothered less about any consequences. And the Master knew too, of course. In the end they both simply enjoyed being the centre of attention. The ringing bell tore them out of it and they watched as the class left the room in a hurry.

"Do I have an audience with the headmaster again now?" Roka asked, her voice laced with sarcasm. Then she swiftly snatched the glasses away and pushed them up her nose with an important face. "Wouldn't mind if he tells me, what exactly happened last time."

She had awaited him to play along and let out another bold comment, but instead his face dropped and he turned away to simply leave the room without throwing even a single glance back at her. This behaviour somehow let her think he regretted his impetuous action from the last time. Whatever it had been about.