Chapter 14: Satan's Saving Grace

Start from the beginning

In the middle of fighting off another ugly creature, a familiar ringing appeared in his head.

"Not now, Chloe." Lucifer hissed under his breath, cringing from the godawful sound. But it only got worse as he continued to ignore it. It turned from a ringing to a merciless screeching in a couple of minutes, almost threatening to make his skull crack in half.

When he couldn't take it anymore, he called out to his demon friend.

"Maze! The Detective is calling, I-"

"Huh? I don't hear her- You know what, never mind. Go!" She yelled, nodding her head at the tower above them. "Who knows, maybe Decker's onto something. I'll be fine!"

Lucifer's eyes were full of doubt, but his ears felt like they were about to bleed, leaving him no choice but to spread his wings and shoot up into the grey sky above them.

"Chloe." He exhaled as soon as his feet touched the top of the throne tower. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Lucifer!" She jumped up on her feet. "Listen, I know this might sound crazy, but there's this- a handprint, one here, one there, th-they're different and I thought that maybe if we-" She started to stutter, unable to form coherent sentences from the uncertainty of her own trail of thought.

Lucifer wasn't comprehending a word she was saying, but he knew how to take care of the situation. They were only a few feet apart, so it took him less than half a stride to close the distance between them and capture her lips in his own, one hand cupping her cheek and the other gently pressing into the curve of her waistline for support. Chloe was lost for a second, but soon relaxed into the kiss, desperately drinking in every second of it.

"Now." Lucifer breathed when he finally pulled away, trying not to sound out of breath. "Try again, but in English this time. Or any other language of the world, really. Except gibberish. Even the Devil hasn't managed to master that one yet."

Chloe smiled, still a bit lost after the unexpected gesture, but her eyes now held an expression of contented peace instead of anxious chaos.

She took another deep breath before finally speaking.

"Have you noticed these handprints before?"

Lucifer's eyes darted from one to the other.

"I've spent countless centuries up here, of course I have."

He said matter-of-factly, still not understanding where she was going with this.

"And it never bothered you that one is smaller than the other?" Chloe asked, narrowing her eyes like she always did when questioning suspects.

"I suppose I've never put any thought to it, after all, the indents are barely visible." Lucifer spoke quieter now, his gaze locked on one of the armrests.

"Sit down." Chloe whispered, pointing to the throne's seat.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Sit, Lucifer."

"Alright, alright." Lucifer's lifted his hands in defeat, mumbling something about the Devil being treated like a dog under his breath.

There was only enough space for one, though, so Chloe wasn't really sure what she expected from all of this, but she stepped aside onto one of the armrests to give the Lord of Hell access to his own throne. When he finally made himself comfortable, without a word, she lowered herself to sit on his lap, both of her legs to one side of his, her arms around his neck. It was almost bridle-style, only with the groom being the Devil on a throne.