Chapter 14: Satan's Saving Grace

[Sooo... if y'all still want me-

Art not mine, I found it somewhere in the depths of twitter and it really inspired me, so keep reading for some good ol' fluff and I'll see you on the other side. (This is a long one, almost 6k words)]

Lucifer soared back down to the battlefield, already regretting his decision to leave Chloe's side. He'd only just gotten her back, and all the Devil really wanted to do was hold her, feel the almost painfully sweet sensation of her skin on his and never let go. But at that moment, he had to look at the bigger picture. He had to get out of the mess he'd gotten himself into, he had to leave this pit of eternal damnation for good, and he had to do it with her in his arms. Lucifer also regretted the fact that he never actually told her what was on his mind. Instead, he masked it all with playful banter like the total fool he always was.

Chloe needed to know how unbearably painful it was for him to lose her, how much he would have sacrificed to get her back, because she's all that really mattered. Before he met her, the Devil's soul was just as damned as the rest of Hell's inhabitants, if not more. Yet somehow, Chloe Decker, a human, a detective for the LAPD managed to become the light at the end of Lucifer's tunnel, Satan's saving grace.

Chloe's idea wasn't really an idea. It was a spontaneous, impulsive guess.

"Sophia?" She called out into the nothing of her surroundings.

No answer.

"This is ridiculous." Chloe huffed, sitting back down onto the throne's stone surface. She rested her hand on one of the armrests again, when she felt a subtle indent under the palm of her hand. Taking a look, she realized it was a handprint, bigger than her own.

"It looks like it might be Lucifer's." Chloe whispered to herself, never taking her eyes off of the print. Has he stayed up here, on this isolated throne for so long, that his hand had dented the stone? Her heart ached at the thought, and she decided to distract herself by checking the other armrest to see if it had the same thing.

There was another handprint on the other side, but this one looked much smaller. Tentatively, Chloe lowered her palm and pressed it into the indent.

"A perfect match?"

Chloe didn't quite know what to do with the knowledge that one print was probably Lucifer's and the other fit her palm and fingers perfectly, but it was a clue. Or was it? This was all so crazy, so unreal. Chloe Jane Decker, an ordinary detective was sitting on some throne in the middle of Hell, while her lover, who also happened to be the Devil, was fighting off a demon rebellion alongside her friend Maze, who was a demon herself. It all sounded like some crazy teenage Netflix show.

She'd tried calling Sophia a few more times, but never did she get an answer. So, her only clues were two different handprints on a throne. Chloe did have a theory, but it seemed crazy. Besides, she needed to get Lucifer up there with her to test it, and it was way too high up for him to hear her calls. Unless...

The 'telepathy' thing was rather strange. It didn't work 24/7, as if that time they first discovered it at the precinct was just a hint to the connection they had. They still had to learn to use it. It did work before they knew about it, though. When Chloe called out to him in a not-so-silent prayer. She had nothing else to do other than to try that again.

Lucifer had been throwing demons left and right for the past... he'd lost count of time. It seemed like both minutes and years since he'd left Chloe on his throne tower. She was so far away from him that he couldn't even see her from the ground.
Maze was starting to get worn out, the gash on her eyebrow still leaking blood, flooding her right eye. There were less and less demons on their side by the minute. Dromos' army was big, and it was furious. They didn't take their King seriously anymore. It was the biggest rebellion in history, and it was chaotic, totally out of any sort of control.