S5 E6 - Girl Meets Forsaken

Start from the beginning

*Some time later, Maya's POV*

As I'm trying to fit all my clothes in the suitcase I hear a knock on the door
"Come in!" Shawn opens the door
"Hey kid, you have visits" Who could it be? I told the others to meet me at Topanga's in a couple of hours.
"Okay, cool. Let them in"
"Sure thing. Hey, Cory! You can come in! Try to not mess it up...again" he pats his best friend's shoulder
"I'll leave you two alone now" I guess I should be first to start this conversation. After all I said the most hurtful things.
"Look Matthews, I owe you an apology"
"No, no, no, I'm the one. I'm sorry"
"I guess we both said some things we didn't mean"
"No, I meant what I said. I was just out of line" I sigh
"Matthews, you know I appreciate everything you've done for me. But this ain't about you.
This is something I gotta do for me"
"Yeah, I know. I know, kid, and I wish you the best. Good luck"
"I'll miss you"
"Me too"

*Three hours later, at Topanga's. Elliot's POV*

"Where's Kermit? He was supposed to be here an hour ago" I ask and dad shakes his head in disapproval
"I knew this was gonna happen"
"Maybe he got stuck in traffic" Riley says with her usual optimism
"Yeah, on his way out of town" Right then he finally comes in
"Sorry, I'm late. Business. I got promoted and they want me to move to Chicago within the next 72 hours"
"Well, then I guess you and Maya better get a move on" the only thing I'm glad Maya didn't get from Katy is her naiveness.
"Well, now, that's the problem" I knew it, I knew deep down that there was no way this was possible.
"Right now I have to drive back home and pack everything. Not to mention that I have to book the flights for everyone" Shawn crosses his arms
"So I guess you're gonna be too busy to take care of Maya?"
"Exactly"
"But, you know, I'll tell you what, Kermit.
I'll buy Maya a plane ticket to Chicago after you're done moving out. That way you could hook up and have the spring break together and tour the country like you had planned"
"That's mighty generous of you, Shawn. But this job could lead to another big one and I gotta stay flexible, you know what I'm saying?"
"Oh, yeah. Yeah, I know what you're saying"
"Maya is gonna be crushed!" I hiss
"Yeah. That's why I was thinking maybe y'all should break the news to her" Katy stands in front of him
"Kermit, if you walk out of Maya's life now don't you ever come back!" Shawn finally decides to take his role as Maya's father
"You know, Maya was doing just fine till you showed up. But now that you're back, you have responsibilities to her"
"Look, we're still gonna take the trip"
"Oh, bull! Bull! Maya is not a coat that you hang in the closet then pick it up when you're ready to wear it. Her life goes on. She's not supposed to be here for you, you're supposed to be here for her!
"You get off my back! You think I want this? It just happened! Now, when Maya was a baby, I was scared-"
"Cut the crap, all right?! Cut it. Because I've been there. But I didn't run out on my family. I was there every day for them. Because that's what a man does!"
"Fine, Shawn. You win. You're the man. You're a better man than me. You happy? Now, are you gonna tell Maya or not?"
"We're not gonna do your dirty work for you" My mom snaps.
"Fine. I'll call her"
"I dare you to!" I shout. I can't believe he's really doing this to Maya...again! After all she's been through because of him!
"Yeah, I'll do that" As he's about to head out my girlfriend walks in with her luggage
"Dad! I'm ready" the hypocrite smiles at her

Maya's POV

I can't wait to show him what I got him. I think he's really gonna like my present. Dad smiles at me and chuckles nervously. Is something happening?
Maya, I'm glad you're here. Some business came up I gotta handle. So we're gonna have to put our trip on hold" My heart crashes into a million pieces. I already know what this means. We're not going anywhere. Hell, knowing him we probably won't see each other for another decade
"You understand?" I nod and try to play it as cool as possible
"Yeah, that's cool"
"Just for a couple of weeks"
"I understand"
"Well...Maybe a little longer"
"Yeah, whatever. Whatever"
"Look, I'll call you next week and we'll iron out the details. Okay?"
"Yeah, yeah" I tilt my head.
"Before you go I want you to have this..." I pull out of my back pocket a locket. It has a picture of us and his family together. At least this way he won't completely forget about my existence.
He opens it and smiles again
"Thank you, Maya. It was great seeing you"
"You too, Kermit" I know what I just did. I indirectly told him that he's not my dad, because he's not. Shawn is. And Matthews was my father before he came.
"Damn" he says under his breath, I can hear how hurt he is though
"Uh, bye"
"I'm so sorry, Peaches"
"Hey, it's fine guys. This works out better for me"
"Maya, it's all right to be angry"
"Hey, why should I be mad, Elliot? At least he said goodbye this time. I just wish I hadn't wasted my money buying this stupid present" I take off my neck the second locket I got for me and throw it in the trash can.
"I'm sorry"
"It's fine, Matthews, you were right, as always"
"We'll be here if you ever need us"
"Thank you, Ms. Matthews. But I'm fine" Mom doesn't say a word and just walks up to me while looking at me directly in the eyes.
You know how some mothers have 'the look'? You know, the one that terrifies you? Well, my mother -aside from having that look- has another look. A look that makes me open up to her no matter how embarrassing, humiliating, sad or mad the situation is.
I try to avoid eye contact with her
"Babygirl, look at me" I raise my head back up, showing her my tears.
"Why doesn't he love me? Why does he keep leaving? What's wrong with me?" she doesn't reply but hugs me tightly instead.
Just what I needed to let myself go completely.