Hospitals and Lost Memories

I wake up to see clean, white walls with a TV mounted in the corner. I look to my right and see Dya, Nima, Kit, and my mom sleeping in the uncomfortable hospital chairs. I wonder why I'm in the hospital until the memories from last night flood my head.

"Devon!" I scream and throw off the covers to sand up,but realize that my leg is stitched up and the pain is still heavy. "Jesus, that hurt," I say through clenched teeth. I'm suddenly engulfed in a tight hug.

"Oh, my dear heavens, you scared the s*** out of me!" My mom says.

"Yeah, don't do that again, Haylee," Dya agrees, crossing her arms and tears threatening to fall. Kit just nods and looks away. Nima hugs me.

"Please don't leave me, Haylee." I pat the top of her head.

"I'm not going anywhere," I reassure her. "But I'm not worried about me right now. Where's Devon?" Dya and Kit exchange glances.

"He's in the next room, but Josh said that he hasn't woken up yet. They did surgery on him because he had three broken ribs, internal bleeding, and a broken arm and leg," Kit explains.

"But...he's okay, right?" They nod. I let out a small sigh. "Okay. How long am I here for?"

"About a week. Devon took most of the damage since he was over you body when the police found you." I nod.

****
So for the next week, Dya and Kit tell me what's going on at school, Nima bakes snickerdoodles, Mom is nowhere to be seen, and I get a visit out of Josh.

"How you doing, Haylee?" He asks, sitting in the chair beside me.

"I'm fine. You know, other than the fact I'm in the hospital with crappy food and a lot of meds to take." I smile. He lets out a small chuckle.

"Good. Devon hasn't woken up yet. I talk to him, even if I know he might not hear me. The doc says he's in a coma."

"For how long?"

"We don't know."

"Oh. Well, as soon as I'm cleared to walk again, I'll visit him with you."

"Thanks. His mom comes in every night."

"Wait, his mom? She came back?"

"Yeah, he lived with her before this happened. He forgave her and moved out of his dad's place tog eat away from the beatings every night." I nod. "Alright, I'm going to go get you boba. I'll be right back."

"Ah, you know me so well."

"You hang out with Devon all the time. I have to." He winks.

****

"Alright, Haylee. You are cleared to walk. You can go home today."

"Thanks Doc." I shake his hand. As soon as he leaves, I get up and walk next door. Josh is there right now, so I knock.

"Come in," comes the muffled reply. I go in and sit next to him. "Wow, you're walking good as new."

"Yeah, it's a slight struggle, but it's all good. How is he?"

"Good. Heart rates stable, just hasn't woken up." I stare at Devon's still body, his chest the only hint that he's still alive. "I'll leave you alone." Josh leaves the room, closing the door behind him. I take a deep breath.

"Hey, Devon. I know you probably can't hear me, but I'm good. I'm all stitched up and walking..." I tell him what's been going on the past week. "I guess I'll leave you to rest. I love you." I hold his hand. I notice that he still has the scrunchy I gave him on his wrist and I burst into tears. I call Josh to bring me Devin's hoodie from his mom's house. As soon as it arrives, I put it on, savoring the smell and comfort it brings.

——————————————-
Months pass, and every day, I go the hospital with Josh to visit Devon, hoping for him to wake up. Every day is a disappointment. While the accident happened around the beginning of January, it's now May, and school's almost out. It's been four months with no sign from Devon to wake up. For four months, I've cried to sleep. For four months, I've worn his hoodie, even when it's 90° out. For four months, I've slept at the hospital on the weekends, my head resting on my arms, arms resting on the bedside. For four months, I've been sleep deprived, anxious, and depressed. No, not the actual depression where it becomes so much you want to kill yourself. The kind of depression you feel when you're on the verge of losing your best friend, or someone who you love. Well, it might not be depression, just really, really, extreme sadness. As a result for being here for four months, I have gotten to know the staff that has been monitored Devon.

So, as I walk into Devon's hospital room, Room 216, to be exact, I see a short woman with black to red ombre hair with a slight wave.

"Rosa! How are you?" She turns around with a clipboard in hand.

"Haylee! I'm good. And yourself, sweetheart?" She replies with a slight accent.

"As good as I'll ever be. What about-"

"The same as yesterday." She gives me a sad smile. "I'm sorry, honey. I'll see you next time, yeah?" I nod. She leaves the room and I resume my place in the chair next to Devon's side.

"Hey, Devon. Today was boring. I missed you. Josh misses you. Even Dya and Kit miss you. Probably because I was much happier when you were with us. Even Nima misses you. She tried making me smile and laugh, but it can only last so long. Please wake up. I need you." My voice trembles as I speak. I hold his hand. "I love you," I whisper. I feel a light, very, very, light squeeze, but I felt it. My head snaps up to his eyes. They're fluttering open. They're fluttering open! They are fluttering open!

"Uh, Rosa! Something happened!" She rushes in. "He squeezed my hand! Is there something happening here?" She checks his vitals.

"His brain is being stimulated. He might wake up soon. You'll holler when he does?"

"Yeah, of course." And soon enough, he woke up.

"You're awake!" I scream. As Rosa records his vitals, and tells him what happened and what he's doing here, I call Josh to tell him the news. Less than thirty minutes later, he arrives with Devon's mom behind him.

"We came as soon as we could. He's awake?" Josh pants.

"He is!"

"Oh, thank God!" A new voice exclaims.

"Oh, I haven't met you yet. I'm Haylee, Devon's...um..."

"Girlfriend?" She finishes.

"Yeah. How'd you know?"

"He was very upset when you got in a fight. You're all he talks about. I'm Sylvia." I shake her hand.

"You can go in first. I'll wait out here with Josh." She nods and goes inside the room. "He's finally awake. Can you believe it?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I can." We sit in anxious silence until Mrs. Tervida comes out to tell us we could go in.

"Oh, um, Haylee. Uh, how should I say this? Um, Devon doesn't really remember much..."

"Oh, that's okay. I can help him." I walk into the room. "Hey, Devon!"

"Sup, dude?" Josh greets.

"Hey, Josh. How are you?"

"Good. And you?"

"In pain." I wave.

"Hey, I exist too, you know."

"Oh, um, yeah. Quick question. Who exactly are you?"

And I oop! Yeah, I'm not apologizing for this. Sorry, loves. I love you! Sending my love and foxes!

~ FV4