FaceTime Calls and Falling Asleep

"Hello?"

"Hey, Haylee!" Devin greets cheerfully.

"What's up?"

"Can't I just call you at midnight for no reason but see your pretty little face?"

"I guess? But it's midnight. Why are calling now?"

"Because I can. Why'd you answer?"

"Because I thought something was wrong. Clearly not, so."

"Well, why don't we get to know each other better?"

"So like...20 questions?"

"Yeah! I'll go first. Favorite color?"

"Turquoise. Favorite food?"

"Mmm...Japanese food."

"Really? Interesting choice." We continue on like this until we ran out of questions. We then just chill and talk about anything that comes to mind. Well, until Devon asks about a topic that I'm not exactly fond of.

"What about your dad? Kaden said that he left you and your family."

"Well, um...I'm not sure how he got that information...but yeah, he did." I'm silent for a moment.

"You don't have to tell me right now. I'm sorry I brought it up." Devon looks away and rubs the back of his neck.

"No! It's fine. Just...hard. Um, we were fine and happy when I was elementary. Then, he and mom started fighting...a lot. If she said black, he did white. They didn't exactly get along as much as I had hoped. Mom loved him, but he didn't love her enough to stay. So, he cheated. Found a prettier, more b****ier woman that showed you much skin and only wanted him for his money. Mom eventually found out and filed for a divorce. He signed the papers and left us without a goodbye." I wipe away the tears that had formed underneath my eyes.

"Oh, Princess...I had no idea."

"It's fine. No one knew except Dya and Kit. And apparently Kaden, though I'm not sure how." We sit in silence, until I remember something that almost slipped my mind. "Remember that hair clip you took from me in 7th grade?"

"Yeah," he says suspiciously.

"That was the last thing Dad gave me before he left us. It was for my birthday, months before they divorced. That's why it so important." He falls silent.

"I'm sorry," he whispers.

"It's okay! We're good now. But enough about me. What about your family?" A flash of sadness and pain pass in his eyes.

"I have an older brother named Daniel. He's...fun. My mom and dad are fine. They put food on the table and a roof over my head so..." It seems to me that he's telling less than what he knows. But I won't push it. He'll tell me when he wants to.

"Okay, well, what about Joshua? He seems like a brother to you."

"Yeah. We became friends instantly. He means a lot to me and he's always kept me in check." He smiles a fond smile.

"That's good." We talk more about places we've been, what we like, what our birthdays are, and a lot more that I'll spare you the details about. We talk to 4:30ish and I start to get tired. I lay my head on the pillow and close my eyes, listening to Devon telling me his weird obsession with building material. I think he'd be an architect when we're out of college. His voice is so soothing that I fall asleep to it. The last I hear is the soft, "Goodnight, Princess," before I fall into the lovely wonders of sleep.

Alright, when I say this was short, I mean it. I'm very sorry about that, but I had an idea for this chapter then lost it and had to improvise. I'm sorry! Honestly, I didn't really like this chapter just because of the content. But hey, at least they know each other better now. The next chapter will be better, I promise! Just hang in there! Love and foxes!

~ FV4