5.3

Sebastian Stan Joins Margot Robbie in Tonya Harding Biopic

After a month of radio silence, the 'Captain America' actor, Sebastian Stan, is back in business and causing a stir on social media again with the announcement that the Romanian-American actor has joined the cast of the Tonya Harding biopic, appar...

After a month of radio silence, the 'Captain America' actor, Sebastian Stan, is back in business and causing a stir on social media again with the announcement that the Romanian-American actor has joined the cast of the Tonya Harding biopic, apparently set to be titled "I, Tonya", playing across from Margot Robbie, who has been cast as the figure skater, and a host of other names.

Here at Variety, we got the opportunity to sit down with Stan for a quick chat about his upcoming role, as well as addressing some recent rumors about the star.

Read a transcript of the interview below or, alternatively, click here to watch the video!

~

Hi, Sebastian! First things first, I just wanted to say a massive thank you, on record, for sparing the time to answer some questions. We know you're a very busy guy so we appreciate you fitting us into your no doubt tight schedule.

SS: You're very welcome.

Let's start off with the recent announcement of your casting in the Tonya Harding biopic.

SS: It surprised me too, to be honest. I wasn't all that confident that my audition was successful at the time but, apparently, they liked what they saw.

Other than the fact you've joined the cast, we know nothing much about this project. Is there anything you can share with us?

SS: Obviously, I can't say too much about it. I haven't even seen the full script yet, so I really don't know much about the film - other than information I picked up from researching Tonya Harding and the other people that are going to feature in the film, and there's no guarantee that any of those things I've learned about them will show up in the movie at all. So, other than what you've learned already from the press release, I really can't tell you anything.

What about your character?

SS: I've been cast as Jeff Gillooly, who is the estranged husband of Tonya Harding, who Margot Robbie is playing in the film. He helped plot the attack on a rival figure skater, Nancy Kerrigan, to keep her from competing against Tonya Harding at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

He sounds like a real piece of work.

SS: He was - definitely not the nicest guy around.

You've obviously played more fictional villains in the past, though. Is it refreshing to be bringing a true story to screens this time around?

SS: I wouldn't say refreshing, but it makes a change. I'm always playing slightly, mentally unstable people - something that probably helped me get this role - but, going into this project with the knowledge that everything that we're going to be playing out actually happened, definitely means I'm going to be taking this more seriously than my past roles.

Now, this is probably the part of the interview you've been dreading, but what interview would be complete without talking about something more personal? More specifically, the rumors that have been making the rounds recently.

SS: Oh? Which one is that?

The rumor started by the apparently unedited pictures by Glamour that were released last month.

SS: I know the one.

Do you have anything to say about it? Any opinions?

SS: I thought the whole hype it caused was quite funny if I'm honest. The Marvel cast was texting me things like "What did you do now?" and joking about it. It was a pretty crazy situation considering all the drama came about because of one picture.

Is there any truth to the rumor, though?

SS: Well, that depends on how much of the gossip you've heard and/or bought into. I mean, I've heard everything from the jewelry just being an accessory, to blaming my management for covering up a secret marriage to keep fans interested, to me being married at the time and now divorced.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm not hearing a denial there.

SS: That's because I'm not denying it; but, I can confirm I'm definitely not a divorcee, though. My management is also not at fault for anything - if people want to play the blame game then that's all on me.

So, it's true that you were wearing a wedding ring in that picture? Similar to the ring that you're sporting today.

SS: The simple answer to that is - yes, it's actually the very same ring that I'm wearing now. I've always had the ring on me during every public appearance, across various projects, but I admit that I spent a lot of time wearing it on a chain under my shirt - yes, even around the [Marvel] cast. The only people that knew about both the ring and my marriage are my management and PR, and mine and my partner's families. Neither of us has been public about it purely because we're both very private people.

We completely understand your wish for privacy about the whole situation. I hope you don't think we're forcing you to talk about this.

SS: No, definitely not. It's actually something I've talked about with my partner and we both agree that people knowing I'm married is okay, but I'd still appreciate it if people didn't pry too much into my relationship.

I completely understand where you're coming from.

SS: Obviously, people are going to be aware of it now so I may be a little more open about it, but there's always going to be a line that I won't cross when it comes to publishing my private life. I just want to make it clear that I'm not going to cross that line for anyone - interviewer or fan alike.

I understand that decision and I'm sure I speak for everyone at Variety when I say that we support that decision one hundred percent. Anyway, as that's all we have time for, I'd just like to reiterate our thanks for taking the time to sit down with me and answer some questions.

SS: Again, you're welcome. Thank you for the lovely time.

~

On a side note, we'd like to extend our likely very belated congratulations to Sebastian Stan and his partner on their marriage. Their union has obviously lasted all these years without our knowledge, but we'd still like to wish them the best for the future and we hope you do too.

 Their union has obviously lasted all these years without our knowledge, but we'd still like to wish them the best for the future and we hope you do too