"You're stubborn, but I'll take it," She sits up and wraps her arms around my neck, almost making me topple over.

"I'm not stubborn."

Allie plants a kiss on my forehead. "You're doing the right thing, Spencer," She tells me. "Plus, I can finally meet your mom."

"That's what this trip is about," I smile at my fiancée. "I'm gonna show you where I grew up, you can meet my mom..."

Allie grins. "I can't wait. I can book the tickets while you're at work."

I pull out my wallet and hand her my credit card. "Just put it on here, okay?"

She looks down at it and then shows it off to me. "Skymiles, huh?"

"Mhm," I hum, standing up. "Can you make the trip so we leave on Friday and come back Monday? I know I get three bereavement days, but I'd like to settle in before heading back to work."

"Sure, babe. I got it," Allie smiles, hooking my belt with her fingers. Then, she looks to her left. Something must have caught her eye. The blanket and pillow on the arm of the chair. "Did you sleep on the floor last night?"

Sheepishly, I nod my head. "I couldn't stand to be away from you. I couldn't sleep..."

"Babe," She coos, wrapping her arms around my waist and pressing the side of her head up against my stomach.

"I'm sorry for how I treated you last night," I apologize, running my hands through her hair. "How I spoke to you. It was... just terrible of me."

Allie looks up at me and shakes her head. "It's okay. I know your dad is a touchy subject and... I really shouldn't have pushed."

"I'm glad you did," I tell her, watching as she hooks her index fingers in my front two belt loops. "I never thought about how my mom would deal with losing him. With her Alzheimer's, she might not even remember that he left us."

She stares up at me, sadness in her brown eyes. "Well, at one point, he was the man she chose to spend her life with. I bet there's a lot you don't know about their relationship pre-Spencer."

I nod in agreement. She's right.

My hands find hers and she squeezes them, giving me a reassuring smile. I'm glad I'll have her there with me. Plus, she'll finally be able to meet my mom. With my letters, I've sent photos of Allie and I to my mom. She was doing well when I saw her during Christmas, and she even remembered a lot about Allie. I wonder how she'll be this time. She sounded good on our phone call the other night, but... who knows?

"You're gonna be late, Spence," Allie speaks up, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"I'll see you after work," I tell her, taking a step back and pulling her to her feet. "Okay?"

My fiancée smiles up at me. "Okay. Let me walk you out."

We head to the door together and Allie gives me a kiss on the cheek before telling me she loves me.

"A kiss on the cheek? That's all?" I pout my bottom lip at the girl.

She chuckles and presses a kiss to my lips. "Have a great day at work."

"You, too. I love you," I tell her before heading out the door.

-

"You changed your hair," I point out as Allie walks into our room. I knew she was going to the salon today, but I'd figured it was just to have her color touched up, not to take it away completely.

The girl's hair is back to platinum blonde, the way that it was earlier this year and late last year.

"Yeah," She shrugs. "I think this is more presentable, y'know? Plus, I've been missing it since I went back to rainbow."