11. Operation Plan B

“Bowser’s master architect is proving difficult to persuade,” Toadsworth advised Peach, as he gave her his progress report. “I sent our best toads, but he is stating he is loyal to Bowser and cannot be brought. He did, however, insinuate he would be loyal to the crown if the Princess wished to speak with him in person.”

Peach rolled her eyes. Trust Leonardo to be too cowardly to do the right thing without getting something in return. He had made it clear he had a sweet spot for her whenever he’d been working on plans for Bowser, while he had her prisoner. The two would always value her opinions, and Peach would always give just the right number of compliments to stay in the architect’s good graces. Still, he was never game enough to free her and openly defy Bowser, even though she suspected he very much wanted to ride off with her into the sunset.

Peach stared over the side of the turret at the toads moving around below. Her stomach knotted. It was almost noon on Christmas Eve and Peach was no closer to saving Christmas than she had been when Santa was taken just shy of twenty-four hours earlier. She hoped the toads wouldn’t turn against her, but she couldn’t be sure. She didn’t know what she would do in their position. Santa was a beloved old hero to all. The idea of him in captivity tugged at her heart-strings almost as much as it would the toads.

This was not a time for emotion though. Peach had to use her head. If she sacrificed her kingdom to save Santa, there would be a lot more suffering than just that one innocent. She could not let that happen.

Calling for a press conference, Peach went to her private wing to dress herself appropriately. After putting on her most regal pink gown, she brushed and smoothed her blonde hair. 

Looking in the mirror, Peach applied the toadstool ointment sitting on her dresser in an attempt to remove the slight bags forming under her eyes. She suppressed a yawn. Spending the whole night crawling through the Marshmallow Gate had really worn her out. She hoped that her friends were doing okay. She had at least had the opportunity to sit and eat, but they wouldn’t have been that lucky. 

She took a deep breath and considered what she would say to appease her people. The toads were a simple folk and she knew they appreciated honesty. If she told them the chances of getting Santa back within a few hours were slim but they wouldn’t stop until they got him back, maybe they would stand behind her. They were a loyal bunch, afterall.

With Toadsworth and her entourage of toads and foreign delegates, Peach trotted gracefully out of her castle and through Toad Town towards Toad Square. 

Daisy’s delegate from Sarasaland fell into step beside her. 

“Do you know what you’re going to say?” she asked. 

“Of course I do,” Peach replied feigning irritation. “Why bother calling a press conference if I didn’t?”

“My apologies, Your Majesty. Of course you have a plan. I just wanted to pass on that Princess Daisy wants you to know that she is ready to help in any way you need her to. Returning Santa clearly needs to be a top priority for us all.” The dignitary smiled charmingly.

Peach balled her hands into fists. Daisy was her friend but that didn’t mean that Sarasaland wouldn’t bargain for higher position if the opportunity presented itself. If Daisy was offering assistance, she must think Peach and the Mushroom Kingdom weak. And this upstart would be the one feeding her that information.

“Thank you. I have it handled, but should that change, Sarasaland will be the first ally I call,” Peach smiled back sweetly.

As they arrived in Toad Square, Peach was astounded by how many toads and sprixies that had turned out to listen to her speech. It was integral she get it right. More than just the inhabitants of Toad Town would hear her words; the sprixies would spread them through the entire Mushroom Kingdom and beyond. Now was the moment to prove she was strong!

“Thank you for coming.” she started, as she stepped onto the podium. “We in the Mushroom Kingdom find ourselves the victims of a vicious attack… but we are not unaccustomed to vicious attacks. We have stood up to those who have wished to destroy our peaceful and prosperous community in the past, and we have done so again.”

Peach took a deep breath. Looking at all of the nervous faces in front of her, desperate for some good news, she needed to give them hope. 

Strength, she thought. She needed to prove herself strong and she needed to buy herself some time.

“I am here to let you know that Bowser has failed once more...” 

Toadsworth’s head flipped in Peach’s direction. She noticed his wide eyes before she quickly turned her attention back to the crowd.

“Santa has been rescued and is being held at a secure location in the preparation for his big journey tonight. Go home to your families and prepare for a happy Christmas Eve and a bright and Merry Christmas because we have a lot to celebrate. 

“Thank you for your confidence in our ability to fix this problem, and have a Merry Christmas.”

Peach moved away from the podium before there was any opportunity for questions.

Toadsworth scuttled towards her.

Cutting him off before he could admonish her, Peach leaned in and whispered to the elderly toad, “I hope you have my travel gear ready, the moment we lose the royal procession, we are going to pay Leonardo a visit. I need to know where Bowser’s lair is. Now.”

Super Mario Christmasजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें