4. To catch a Bowser

Peach wanted to scream.

Not only had he derailed her plans, but Bowser had left without her!

Her cheeks flushed and she balled her fists; her perfectly pedicured nails biting into her skin. She once thought there was something deeper to her kidnappings than just a longing for her kingdom, but these days she wasn't so sure. It now appeared that Bowser would kidnap anything with a slight whiff of power.

And what was almost as bad, she had the most inside knowledge on the inner workings of the so-called King of the Koopers, yet those thick-headed brothers never listened to her. Case and point, Sprixie Princess and all of her followers. They would have been freed twice as fast if Mario, Luigi and Toad had let her take the lead.

Peach just didn't get it. After the Sprixie Princess debacle, Bowser had seemed to regain interest in her. But how can it be that only a year and a half ago, Bowser had dressed in white and tried to force her to marry him, yet now he had moved on again? She was never seriously considering marrying him (her heart was still secretly Mario's, of course), still she loved the thrill of being chased. Something about the way that Bowser would snatch her up, showing so much strength and then take care of her with such gentility, made her long for more. She thought he felt the same way, that that was their bond, but maybe she was just a means to an end afterall. At least this time Bowser hadn't taken a female on board that magnificent romantic cruise ship. That would have been too much.

Peach pinched herself hard. This was no time for jealousy. Bowser was threatening her kingdom and for once she was in a position to stop him. They would not ignore her when it was her kingdom on the line, surely.

Spurred to action by the sound of Luigi's hysterical laughter, she took charge.

"What we need to do is-"

"Let's follow that flyinging cruise ship!" yelled Mario over the top of her.

Peach's eyebrows furrowed. "No, that's a terrible idea."

"Thank you, Peach," said Mario, full of his own importance. He started to move, kicking Luigi as he passed him.

"I said, 'that's a terrible idea.' You didn't even listen to my words."

She had to do a little jog to catch up. Taking this as a sign of agreeance to his plan, Mario broke into a run, Toad, Toadette and Yoshi following suit.

"Listen to me, Mario! This is a BAD idea!" Peach could hear her voice becoming shrill in her frustration, but she was too furious to be able to return it to the calm commanding tone she used to give orders, and running along after Mario did nothing to ease her frustration.

Mario looked over his shoulder, raising his eyebrows at her. "Of course it's a good idea," he stated. 

"This is my kingdom, and I say we should go to where we know he'll end up, rather than following his disciples from land to land," she puffed. "I know Bowser better than you. Just look for the largest castle recently built near lava. Even better, I know the shy guy Bowser commissions to make all the creepy statues of himself; I befriended him for this very occasion. Let's find Bowser quickly and beat him at his own game."

Mario gave a conceited chuckle. "No offence, Peach, but I've been doing this a lot longer than you. If I want advice on how to get kidnapped, you'll be the first person I ask. When it comes to finding kidnapped victims, Luigi and I are your men. This is the way we've always done it. Don't worry, Princess, we won't steer you wrong."

Peach saw red. Just because it was the way it had always been done didn't mean it was right.

Luigi streaked past her, rushing to catch his brother. "Lu-i-giiii!" he called to no-one in particular.

She held up her dress and trotted after them. What else could she do? She wasn't strong enough to take Bowser on alone, and she was not going to let her well-meaning, but somewhat short-sighted friends botch this rescue when both Christmas and HER DYNASTY were on the line.

"Where are they going now?" Peach asked Toad as the red of Mario's hat disappeared down the Castle's golden pipe.

"Where do you think we'd go to look for an airship?" Toad responded. "Cloudland, of course."

With a shake of her head and a muffled sigh, Peach stepped onto the pipe's rim.

They were going the wrong way. 

If only Mario would listen.

A/N thanks so much for those of you who are reading. It is inspiring me to actually keep going! Thanks again to Captain_Kit for the artwork and I hope you continue to enjoy.

Remember to comment and vote if your liking.