Introduction

When we think of introverts or extroverts we often define the two types as: “shy” and “quiet” versus “loud” and “engaging”. This, however, is a myth. Introverts are not shy or quiet; they just gain energy from being alone or having some solitude time with a good book or a deep conversation with a close friend. While extroverts gain their energy from large, social interactions and loose energy while being alone. A psychologist named Carl Jung invented these two types of personalities back in the early 20th century. Carl Jung also admitted that there is no such thing as a pure introvert or a pure extrovert - one would be mad if such. Everyone has to have its balance of social time and solitude time. 

Many introverts think that it’s wrong or a bad thing to be the way they are. This isn’t the case, as society changes the ideal person does as well. We now live in a society where the world favors “energetic”, “loud” and  “engaging” types of people over those who are much quieter and take their time to gather their thoughts. The extrovert is highly favored in the Western parts of the world such as the United States, Canada and Europe; while the introvert is favored and common in Asia and Africa.

Being quiet and reserved isn’t something that should be looked down upon; instead, find the things in which that trait has helped you with in certain situations. For example, with introverts being more quiet and to themselves they allow their minds to think more deeply about a certain question, giving a creative and different, sometimes even a more effective solution or answer to a question or problem. Overall, few people know that a third to the population are introverts.

Research has proven that introverts are people who are creative, valuable listeners and are cautious human beings; they are less likely to create problems. They value listening over talking when in a group of people and enjoy understanding others. Introverts are deep thinkers and can detect feelings easily, they are also able to adapt to any sort of environment and change easily. 

Many people wonder if the parents genetically give them their personality trait. This may or may not be the case introversion and extroversion is only about 40-50% heritable by parent’s genes. Or the traits could 100% come from genes or not at all. Nowadays, psychologists believe that culture has a huge impact on a person’s personality. 

Introversion and extroversion builds from the way people behave with each other; this is what makes us who we are. The amygdala, in the brain; plays an important role in shaping introverts and extroverts. The amount of stimulation one has gives an impact on whether or not they are an introvert or extrovert.