Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

Sally stood by and watched Morgan put the last of her belongings into the trunk of the old beater she bought a few days earlier. She crossed her arms over her chest and attempted to hold back the tears that had made an appearance more than once that final week of the two of them together.

Morgan shut the trunk and looked over at her sister. She sighed heavily.

“Are you sure that thing will get you to where you are going?” Sally asked looking over the rusted Buick.

“It should,” Morgan said nodding. “Phoenix isn't that far, Sal. You can always come visit me.”

Sally nodded knowing that her sister was right.

“It’s not the same, Mo. We've never been apart,” Sally said shrugging.

“I know,” Morgan said sadly.

Sally wrapped her sister in a tight hug and both girls started to shake as they couldn't stop themselves from crying.

“I’m going to miss you so much,” Sally cried into her sister’s shoulder.

“Me too,” Morgan squeezed her sister tighter.

The held onto each other neither one wanting to break their embrace. When they finally broke apart, they wiped the tears off their faces and looked at one another.

“Call me when you get there,” Sally said squeezing her sister’s shoulder tightly.

“I will,” Morgan said nodding.

“Be safe, Mo,” Sally said hugging her sister again.

“I will,” she said again this time muffled in her shoulder.

Morgan pulled away knowing she had to do it now or she might change her mind.

“Love you,” Morgan said at the door of her vehicle.

“Love you,” Sally said and watched Morgan get in the car and slowly pull away.

She put her face into her hands as she bawled on the sidewalk. She didn't want to go into the apartment that was now void of her sister. It would make her situation all too real and she still wasn't ready to accept that her sister was indeed gone.

After about twenty minutes of standing on the sidewalk, Sally slowly walked upstairs and went straight for the phone.

“Hello?” she heard an upbeat voice on the other end.

“Hey Sean, is Norman there?” Sally asked trying to hide the fact that she was crying.

“No Sal, I’m sorry he’s out. Are you okay?” he asked concerned.

“I’m fine,” she smiled hoping he’d hear it in her voice.

“Sal?” Sean asked knowing something was wrong.

“Morgan just left,” she said and started to cry again.

She heard Sean sigh on the other side of the phone. She really didn't want to bother him with her sadness over her sister leaving.

“I’m sorry,” Sean said quietly.

Sally nodded even though Sean couldn't see her.

“Can you just tell Norman I called,” Sally forced out.

“Sure,” Sean said quietly and hung up the phone.

Sally curled up on the couch and cried. She missed her sister already.

---

Sally woke up from her position on the couch to knocking on her door. Her eyes stung from crying and she rubbed them trying to get them to stop burning.