Chapter Four

Chapter 4

“Lollipop!” Sally jumped a mile when Sean’s voice came booming from above her.

She was ducked behind the counter sorting receipts and almost hit her head when she jumped. She looked up at Sean who was peering over the counter at her. He had a huge grin on his face as he attempted to subside his laughing.

Sally took the lollipop out of her mouth.

“You scared me, you fucker,” she said upset.

Sean burst out laughing and Sally got up from off the floor.

“What do you want?” she asked annoyed by his behavior.

“Is Buttercup here?” he asked still laughing.

Sean had continued his habit of nicknaming everyone by giving Morgan the nickname of buttercup being that she loved Reese’s peanut butter cups and usually always had them on hand.

“No, Buttercup is out to lunch,” Sally said not trying to hide the annoyance in her voice.

“Awe, what’s wrong, Lollipop? Are you upset that Reedenstein is gone?” he asked leaning his elbow on the counter.

Sally rolled her eyes and started to go back to counting the receipts. She was doing her best to ignore the fact that Norman was in New York for a two week modeling job. He’d been gone a week already and Sally was running out of things to keep herself preoccupied.

“That’s it, isn't it?” Sean teased Sally and nudged her shoulder slightly.

Sally looked up at Sean annoyed and took the lollipop out of her mouth.

“Can I help you with something?” she asked hoping to change the subject.

“Nope. I’m just going to wait for your sister to get here. I’ve got big news,” he said and drummed his hands on the counter.

“Well, can you wait for her in the back because you are annoying me,” she said to Sean hoping he’d get the hint.

“Alright, alright,” Sean said holding his hands up to surrender. “I’ll behave,” he said and went to look around.

Sally shook her head and sat back down behind the counter continuing her task. She felt her eyes start to water as she thought about Norman in New York. Even though he said he would, he hadn’t called her. She knew he was probably busy and they were time zones away from each other, but she still expected at least one phone call. She didn’t think it was too much to ask.

Sally sighed heavily attempting to stop her tears that were threatening to spill. She almost choked on her lollipop when she heard a large crash come from somewhere in the store. She bolted up from behind the counter to see Sean standing still with a C.D. in his hand. A pile of C.D.s and a display case laid at his feet.

“Oops,” Sean said quietly.

At first Sally burst out laughing. He looked so ridiculous standing there like a deer in headlights. Unfortunately her laughing turned into tears and she found herself crying uncontrollably.

“Sally?” Sean asked worried by her reaction. He jumped over the pile that was at his feet and went to comfort her.

“I’m sorry, I’ll fix it,” he said and wrapped his arms around the crying girl.

Sally buried her head in Sean’s chest and she could feel him rest his chin on the top of her head. She shook her head no as she cried.

“No, you don’t want my help?” he asked pulling away to look at Sally’s face.