Marrow and Bone

"Mr. and Mrs. Scully," Dr. Carter began as the three of them stepped out of Dana's hospital room, "Dana has been through a lot of trauma that cannot be explained medically. We believe that she had an aneurysm, but there is no reason why a healthy girl like herself would be at risk. Her brain activity is incredibly high for someone her age, as well."

"Well, Doctor, what do you suggest we do?" Her mother asked, her pale fingers were grasping the cross necklace she wore, which was identical to Dana's.

"Well," he cleared his throat, "She is in a state now where we can release her. I would suggest that she sees a psychologist at least once a week until her behaviors are regular and normal again. I'll prescribe her a few medications to keep her brain and heart rates down." Dr. Carter looked down at the clipboard and back up at Dana's parents. "There is one last thing that I would like to mention."

"What is it, Doctor?" Mr. Scully put a tired arm around his tired wife.

"When we were examing Dana, we found two very large bruises right on her shoulder blades. They were, from what we could tell, the shape of hands. Large, male hands,"

Her parents were horrified.

"Are you aware of anyone that Dana has been dating? Maybe her involvement with men--"

"Dana is a good girl. A damn good girl," her father interrupted, "She would never subject herself to such sinful behaviors."

Silence cut through the conversation like a sharp sword.

"Thank you for letting us know, Doctor, but my husband is right. Dana's only had one boyfriend and they broke up months ago. She's preparing for college right now and she reads Mass to our congregation every Sunday. She wears a pendant of the crucifixion as a constant reminder of the things she believes in. She is the most responsible and respectable young woman that we know. "

The situation only got more awkward. Dr. Carter had heard every life story of every patient and so often did he feel like these stories never added information to the diagnosis. So often did he wish to go home, mindlessly watch television, and drown his sorrows in bowls of cold cereal. He feared that the Scullys were beyond conversation at this point. He knew what he saw, whether or not Dana's parents believed him. 

"Thank you for those points, really," He exhaled and flipped through his clipboard. "But, that still doesn't explain the bruises."

Mr. and Mrs. Scully looked at each other, unsure of what to say. 

"Doctor, we can assure you that we are a loving family. The last thing anyone would do is hurt Dana if that's what you're insinuating." Mrs. Scully protested.

"That never crossed my mind," He replied coldly.  "Thank you for your time. Call me if you have any questions. Dana is free to go whenever your family is ready."

As the doctor walked away, Melissa quietly shut the door behind her and joined her parents in the hall. 

"Those words Dana kept repeating," she folded her arms across her maroon top, "they're Latin. Seeing is believing."

"How do you know that's what she was saying?" Her mother asked.

"Mom," Melissa sighed, "I've been studying Latin ever since I moved to Portland,"

"What on earth for?" Her father chuckled.

Melissa knew that now was not the right time to tell her parents that she had completely renounced her Catholic faith and now chanted Latin spells late into the night. 

"It doesn't matter," she shrugged, "what does matter is that something very mysterious is going on with Dana. I'm worried about her. What is she trying to see? What is it that she wants to believe in?"