5. What A Day

Beau

After debating with herself the entire weekend, her answer was no. N.O. No. Nay. Negative.

There were a million reasons why she shouldn't do it. The most obvious one was, she would be exposed. Her identity has been kept a secret since she was a child. Yes, her colleagues from college might know her as a nerdy girl who studied hard and ended up graduating at the top of the class. However, that Daniel guy has no idea of her genius. He never knew that everything was child's play for her. A means to an end.

She was not worried about her egotistical former classmate. What worried her were her shady clients. From cartels and mafias to gangsters and yakuza organizations. She handled them all.

There was no way for them to go to a legit accounting firm and their laundering technique will never be on par with hers. Plus, they had a shitload of money that drew attention to all kinds of thieves and law enforcement. Even in their respective organizations, there were certain things that they shouldn't trust just anyone. Money was one of them.

She had lost count of the number of times she had thefts exposed and hidden the truths from the authorities. What she read in newspapers and social media the next day still haunted her.

They have never met her. Never heard her voice. She was plainly known as the accountant. Passed around by word of mouth by the leaders. They knew her as the only man for the job. Her gender has never been asked nor her name.

With untraceable IP, payments through cash, and transfers to prepaid cards, she was invisible. A ghost. Only called upon when needed.

And she will be fucking exposed if she went through with this.

Remember what you promised Lily. You never go back on your promise.

Oh, shit! That was the most important reason she has to do this. She needed to try for her sake. Just this once.

Live a normal life and all the bullshit that comes with it.

***

She will do it. Everything will be taken care of in a day or two, maybe even less.

Since she lived an hour from the city, she was out of her driveway promptly at 7 am. Like any normal girl, she drive-thru McDonald's for a sandwich and ice-cold choco. Knowing she will arrive an hour early for her appointment, she dallied.

Being punctual has nothing to do with it, self-preservation was.

The weighing of pros and cons will be evaluated. Exits second. Observing people coming in and out of the building will be last.

-Damn. She could never be normal.-

These traits were too ingrained in her personality. An instinct to survive. To shield her from people who might do her harm.

How she wishes she could go back to that night when she was an ordinary woman taken by pleasure. To forget the real her and bask at that moment.

She squirmed in the car seat at the memories. With her big brain, she could conjure vivid images. Colliding with what happened in reality and her future fantasies. Always the same man.

Dominic.

Her hoarse voice screaming his name numerous times will be remembered for the rest of her life.

Ok. Enough. That was history. He was long gone by now.

She drove around the financial district several times to pass the time. Reconnoitering. Observing.

Satisfied, she parked her Honda a kilometer away from the imposing building of DV Corporation.

The skyscraper with high ceilings made her tilt her head back for a moment, distracting her. Shaking her head, she squinted her eyes at the corporate ants. Most people that were milling about were in blacks and grays and there across the street was Starbucks. The works. This really made her want to puke.